Windows 10 may not boot after installing Сreators Update

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Danil@Parallels, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danil@Parallels

Danil@Parallels Staff Member

Hey Parallels Users,

The Windows 10 Creators Update brings changes to the system video mode initialization, and your Windows 10 virtual machine may not boot after installing the update.

If you have not updated Windows yet you can defer Windows Creators Updates until you have a Parallels Desktop update installed.

Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac Users
    Update your copy to version with Creators Update support, 12.2.0 (41591) or later: click Parallels Desktop icon > Check for Updates... > proceed with download and installation. You can install update manually or try Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac by downloading the latest build at this link.

Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac Users
    Update your copy to version with Creators Update support, 11.2.3 (32663) or later: click Parallels Desktop icon > Check for Updates... > proceed with download and installation. You can install update manually or try Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac by downloading the latest build at this link.

Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac Users
    Windows 10 Creators Update is not supported in Parallels Desktop 10.

As a Parallels Desktop 10 user you are still eligible to upgrade to Parallels Desktop 12, our latest version, and fully compatible with Windows 10 Creators Update along with over 100 new features. Click here to purchase your upgrade

Earlier versions of Parallels Desktop for Mac Users
    Parallels Desktop 9 and earlier versions have reached End-of-Life state. For more information please visit KB 122533.

For more details see this KB 124151.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. W.I

W.I Member

Deferring windows updates can't be done with Windows 10 home edition.

ShreyaM likes this.
  3. JK_1

JK_1 Bit poster

In Parallels desktop 11 select "Enable nested virtualization" in the advanced CPU & Memory settings, problem solved.

OscarC1 likes this.
  4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We are glad to see your active participation and appreciate you for sharing this workaround.

5. rlsx

rlsx Junior Member

To Ajith@Parallels
    Do you have any idea why the workaround "Enable nested virtualisation" works?
    "Daniel@Parallels" mentions "changes to the system video mode initialisation". What does this have to do with virtualisation support?

6. RonaldM1

RonaldM1 Bit poster

Have Parallels 12.2.2 installed. Installed Windows Creators update. Booting starts, but after logging on to Windows, the windows screen stays black and the windows desktop is not shown.

RogerS5 and MrMsyvc like this.
  7. Karthik@Parallels

Karthik@Parallels Member

@RonaldM1 Have you tried the workaround suggested ? If so please let us know. Thanks!

8. RonaldM1

RonaldM1 Bit poster

Tried it. Does not work.

9. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Try using the option Actions > Reset then check.

10. RonaldM1

RonaldM1 Bit poster

Done. Doesn't help.

11. RonaldM1

RonaldM1 Bit poster

Tried to safe boot to the VM. Same situation. Black screen with cursor only.

12. RonaldM1

RonaldM1 Bit poster

Startup in Low res-resolution video mode, same problem.

13. ae6dx

ae6dx Hunter

Can I upgrade an existing Windows 10 VM using the Creators update ISO? Or do I have to wait to get the upgrade notification in Windows?

14. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Yes, you can mount Creators update ISO and upgrade the Windows but before attempting that take a backup or snapshot of the current state.

15. CKathens

CKathens Bit poster

Has this issue been resolved? As long as problems like this are reported, I am reluctant to update Parallels Desktop (my current version 12.1.3-41532 which is stable) or install Windows 10 Creators update.

16. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Yes, please update your copy to version with Creators Update support, 12.2.0 (41591) or later: click Parallels Desktop icon > Check for Updates... > proceed with download and installation. You can install update manually or try Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac by downloading the latest build at this link.

17. rlsx

rlsx Junior Member

This is not correct.
    Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac (latest) running in El-Capitan, with the option "Enable nested virtualization" will gladly create a VM with the Windows 10 Creators Update 64 bit. Even tried upgrading from the previous Windows 10, and it worked. Both actions fail without the option "Enable nested virtualization".
    Can Parallels support explain why the nested irtualization option make such a difference?
    Thanks

18. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

I created a new VM from the Creators Update ISO without any issues using Parallels 12.

19. Karthik@Parallels

Karthik@Parallels Member

@Mike Boreham Sounds good! let us know if we can provide further assistance with Parallels! Thanks.

20. Is anyone at Parallels sorting out this boot problem? - since I installed the creator update - after installing parallels 12.2 as advised windows starts but screen is corrupt white with black irregular dashes - I have uninstalled and re-installed parallels but no change (OS is Sierra 10.12.4 on 2016 imac with Retina Screen)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.