Windows Server Essentials 2016 failure

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PragmaticPraxis, Jan 23, 2017.

1. PragmaticPraxis

PragmaticPraxis Bit poster

Anyone successfully installed Windows Server Essentials 2016 on a Parallels VM? I have tried a few times now, and the server setup wizard fails at 39% each time. Of course Microsoft doesn't tell me WHAT happened, just that it failed and try again. Verified that internet connection is fine, no errors in Event Log that explain it. WSE is activated on the eval key. Ideas?

2. JimA3

JimA3 Bit poster

Same thing for me with Windows Server 2012 R2. Server Setup wizard fails at 29%. Using that latest Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac OSX.

3. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

4. lorein

lorein Member

MS support has spent a lot of time narrowing down this issue in my environment. They are taking this seriously and I believe they have a good understanding of the root cause now. I'm sure this issue will be fixed in an upcoming patch.
    This has something to do with ServerBeacon.dll crashing when your server is not assigned an IPv6 address. Normally it should be, but in some rare cases it is not (buggy router maybe). The last thing support was trying to determine was why the server is not getting an IPv6 address assigned.
    But the ultimate solution would be to fix ServerBeacon.dll to handle this edge case properly. To fix the DLL error scan your PC with the DLL repair tool, this will automatically scan the PC, detect and fix the DLL related issue. Or else you can manually install the DLL file from the manufacturer site.
    Hope this will help you. Good Luck!!!

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @JimA3, are you trying to install Windows 2012 R2 Server in a CLI or GUI format? Please share the screenshot of the error message and we can help!

6. MontMac

MontMac Bit poster

I have the same problem, server setup won't get past 39%, however I can install it over and over in VMWare Fusion 8.5 with no issue on my 2014 iMac 27". Here are some screen shots of the problem on Parallels 12.2 running on El Capitan 10.11.6. Also I want to note this problem has been around for me since Win Server 2016 Essentials preview and now with the latest version. But also both install fine in VMWare Fusion.

Attached Files:

7. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Guys,

Can you please disable 'Express installation' before starting an installation and let us know if that helps?
    [​IMG]

JohanA1 likes this.
  8. JohanA1

JohanA1 Bit poster

Hi!
    I had the same problem and when you disable express installation then it works just fine.

9. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Feel free to reach us anytime for support.

JohanA1 likes this.
  10. GunnarP

GunnarP Bit poster

Hi,
    I have the same problem. At 39% the 'Configure Windows Server essentials' dialog fails.
    Where can I disable 'Express Installation'?

11. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We don't have the option to disable Express installation but start an installation manually. You can start the VM creation as mentioned here but when you are on the screen to select the ISO and continue to select "Locate Manually" then select "Continue without a source" then proceed to select Operating System.
    Choose the profile for your virtual machine.
    Give a name for the VM and create. You will get a no boot screen.
    Use Actions (on Mac menu bar) > Stop.
    Now you can see the empty VM on Parallels Desktop Control Center.
    Now you can mount the Windows Server ISO and start the VM which will start Windows installation manually.

12. CLOUET

CLOUET Bit poster

Thanks Ajith !

Was failing at 39% in the installation of Windows Server 2016 Essential.
    Your step by step resolve my issue

Best Regards

13. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We are glad to hear that. Feel free to reach out to us anytime for support.