Cannot drag my application windows when in full screen and app windows is on top edge.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AliJ, Nov 22, 2016.

1. AliJ

AliJ Member

why do we not get any reply from parallels? Swatti what was purpose of creating Report ID 155881148 and whats the status?

Paul Canchola likes this.
  2. RobertC16

RobertC16 Bit poster

I agree this is incredibly frustrating, often when trying to drag windows it drags the entire screen down then I have to mess around with alt+space+m them arrow keys just so I can move the desired window. This must be a priority issue.

3. AliJ

AliJ Member

Please help. its even worse now with Version 12.2.0 (41591). now the workaround we had stopped working. when you switch to windowed mode and back to full screen the windows resution setting get reset to 1024x768! And even worse it does not let me select my ntive 3840x2160 resutlion as windows mixes up my Mac discplay and external display and think my external display max resultion is 2880x1800. So I cant even use full screen any more! PLEASE HELP.

4. TomH7

TomH7 Bit poster

Add me to the list of affected users who are losing valuable time to this frustrating issue.

5. CiaranT

CiaranT Bit poster

Very annoying indeed.. Awaiting fix!

6. L-Dog

L-Dog Member

I'm also having this error. It makes using Windows 10 very annoying. I can't run any windows application in full screen or "stuck" to the sides because the whole screen moves when I try to move it.

7. MattJ4

MattJ4 Bit poster

Also experiencing this issue. @Parallels Team, please provide an update.

8. RichardC17

RichardC17 Bit poster

Same here - would be good to see a fix rather than just a workaround

9. BenjaminN1

BenjaminN1 Bit poster

Also experiencing this issue. @Parallels Team, please provide an update.

10. MihaiE

MihaiE Member

Latest version of PD12, the same issue drives me crazy. Parallels team seem to be interesting in adding useless tools to their package instead of fixing problems that keep annoying customers. VMware, I'm eager to test your new baby in October, I'm sick and tired of Parallels' attitude to how a virtualization software platform should look like.

11. Paul Canchola

Paul Canchola Bit poster

This is still an issue in Parallels Desktop 13. It is incredibly frustrating. I have tried every single workaround suggested by users and the Parallels team, but with no success. This should be a known issue within the Parallels team and an update with fix needs to be issued for PD12 and 13 ASAP. I have halted the purchasing of Paralls Desktop for the organization I work for until the issue is resolved because our developers cannot operate with this very frustrating glitch.

This is affecting multiple users on multiple Macs running multiple versions of macOS. This is affecting me in both professional and personal use of Parallels on both my personal and work MacBook Pros.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  12. NathanL6

NathanL6 Bit poster

Same Problem here as well. Trying to drag a window that is at the top of the screen, drags my entire desktop/display.

Look at the wide range of dates of the people complaining about this. Consider how long this has been a known problem. Parallels just doesn't GAF about us.

Consider how often they make us buy more and more updates. Every time anything changes, rather than just patch the program, they hit us with another $40 upgrade fee.

Instead of focusing on improving the quality of Parallels and fixing known bugs, they spend their time making worthless addon programs and try to get us to buy them. Parallels used to be the best option. But now that they're big, I just don't feel like they care any more.

13. WernerW2

WernerW2 Bit poster

Hello!
    I HAD the same issue (Parallels Desktop 13).
    What I did to fix it was to change the settings like this:
    • go to the configuration page (e.g. Configuration of "Windows 10")
    • go to the options tab
    • go to Full screen item
    • make sure you have not checked the "Optimize for games" item (I had checked it because I wanted to avoid the Mac OS menus in my Windows instance)
    This helps me at least.

Greetings,
    /Werner

GaryO4 likes this.
  14. RyanM11

RyanM11 Bit poster

Also getting this issue and it's extremely annoying. I got it to stop by doing the solution above, but then I get the Mac Bar at the bottom of my screen which is even more frustrating.

15. GaryO4

GaryO4 Bit poster

I just updated from 11 to 13 and had this issue as well. Driving me nuts.
    I used Werner's trick and everything back to normal including the annoying Dock at the bottom and Menu bar at the top.
    Thanks Werner
    Regards
    Gary

16. GaryO4

GaryO4 Bit poster

This is not only an issue with Parallels but all of these tech companies, Apple, MS you name it.
    Look at how cluttered iTunes has become.
    I don't have a problem with paying for an upgrade once or twice a year as the product is actually very good value for money.
    I just wish there was an option to get rid of some of the bulk.
    Parallels Toolbox is obviously a requirement but I really don't want to see all that clutter when the top menu appears.
    Regards
    Gary

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  17. GaryO4

GaryO4 Bit poster

Mmm,
    I seem to have found a fix by accident:
    With my Windows 7 virtual machines shut down,
    * Go to Mac System Preferences>Mission Control
    * Check 'Displays have separate Spaces' - If you get a prompt to log out do so after all changes below
    Note I also have the following checked:
    > Automatically arrange spaces based on recent use
    > When switching an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application
    Unchecked:
    > Group windows by application
    I don't know whether those extra settings are required, that's what they were already set to.
    * Go to your Virtual machine settings
    * Under Options>Full Screen, I have the following checked:
    > Use displays in full screen
    > Activating virtual machine shows all its spaces
    > Optimise full screen for games
    * Start your VM
    This seems to give me what I want, namely no Apple Dock & Menu bar. No more full screen VM is draggable when an App window is up against the top of the VM.
    As a test open an Explorer window and drag it to the top of the VM screen, it should then expand full screen. Now click on the top of the window border and you should be able to drag it away from the top edge of the VM screen and it should revert to a normal window.
    Hope this helps.
    Gary

18. GaryO4

GaryO4 Bit poster

My solution in post 34 worked for a while. First fatal mistake - going on vacation. Shut down my MBP (closed the lid) came back today and went to grab an application at the top of the windows desktop and the whole desktop moved.
    Second fatal mistake - used CMD+CTRL+F and this put my VM into Coherence and from there it only got worse.
    It's taken me an hour to get the VM back to my working environment.
    Parallels is getting worse with each release.
    Never had any of these problems with 11 on High Sierra - it just worked - I wish I had left well alone.
    Ho Hum
    Gary

19. StefanW6

StefanW6 Member

SAME PROBLEM HERE. I have been waiting for YEARS now for them to finally bring back the good old (WORKING) full screen mode as it was in PD11.
    We have since cancelled all our subscriptions due to the blatant ignorance from Parallels. I had several tickets open for the issues and always just got canned responses and nonsense crap about why they changed it to Apple's crippled full screen mode!
    Migrating away from Mac/Parallels environment by just using a full-on Mac as a Mac and then using a "real" Windows PC and some software that allows sharing mouse and keyboard seems to be the way to go.
    Very sad to see how they crippled a one perfectly working multi-monitor environment to the point of unusability !!