Parallels not allowing Buffalo Linkstation recovery

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BenedictH, Apr 7, 2017.

1. BenedictH

BenedictH Bit poster

Hi All,

I've searched the forums and I've been unable to find a solution, hence this thread. We have a Buffalo Linkstation 420D NAS drive in which one of the discs - the discs came pre-formatted when we purchased the drive - failed recently. Thus we have to replace the drives in the NAS with blank ones and reinstall the Buffalo NAS OS on them. Unfortunately for this Buffalo NAS drive, it is a Windows only operation. We only have a Mac though!
    I have unsuccessfully attempted to undertake this operation using Parallels 11. The instructions for the first part of this recovery process are below in red:

Once these files have been downloaded, extract them to your desktop. Now connect the LinkStation directly to your PC with an Ethernet cable and set a static IP address on your PC by doing the following:

Windows XP:

1. Go to Control Panel -> Network Connections -> right click the Local Area Connection icon -> select Properties -> Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> select Use the following IP address:

IP address: 192.168.11.1
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

2. Leave the Default gateway and DNS blank and click OK > OK.

I am able to do the above without a problem, but when I come to undertake the next steps, below, the LAN does not appear to be detected and I can't complete the process as the "accepting requests" in 5. is never reached. The steps I attempt to take and the hoped for response are below:

3. Turn off any other network adaptor like wireless or any secondary Local Area Connection you may have running on your PC and deactivate all antivirus and firewall software (including the Windows firewall).

4. Turn on your LS400 now and check for your Local Area Connection to become active (you can ignore messages regarding no Internet connection).

5. Run the "TFTP Boot.exe" file (this will open a blank screen), once it is stuck at "accepting requests.." press the FUNCTION button on the LinkStation for 2 - 3 seconds so that the red error light will change to white.

[​IMG]

With regards to step 3. here, I turn off the wifi, but am not sure if I should be doing anything else specifically in
    Parallels?

When I run the TFTP Boot.exe file in parallels, I am met with the attached message, as opposed to the one above.

I'd be most grateful for any assistance and advice as to how I can complete this recovery process on this NAS drive using Parallels, if indeed it's possible.

Thanks very much indeed!

Attached Files:

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hello BenedictH,
    We would like to know how the NAS drive is connected to Mac. Is it through Wifi or ethernet?

3. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hello BenedictH,
    You can also try changing the network mode to bridged and check.

4. BenedictH

BenedictH Bit poster

Hi Ajith, thanks for your replies. The NAS is connected via ethernet, as this is what the instructions from Buffalo advise. I'll try changing the network mode and I'll let you know what happens.

5. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Please do and keep us posted.

6. BenedictH

BenedictH Bit poster

Hi, so I attempted to change the network mode to bridged, but was unable to do this, being met with the message:

To create a Network Bridge you must select at least 2 LAN or High-Speed internet connections that are not being used by Internet Connection Sharing.

I take it that the bridge needs to be between the ethernet attached NAS which I'm trying to reinstall the Buffalo OS onto and my Mac running Parallels?
    I wonder if anyone has any other ideas as to how I can resolve this problem.
    Thanks again all.

7. Arunraj

Arunraj Junior Member

Hello BenedictH,
    A virtual machine in Parallels can use three different networking modes to communicate with the world: Bridged, Shared and Host-Only. Only in Bridge Mode, the virtual machine can communicate with other network devices and it can connect to the internet. From more information on Networking modes in Parallels Desktop, kindly refer the article: http://kb.parallels.com/4948

8. Arunraj

Arunraj Junior Member

You can switch the networking mode in Parallels virtual machine by following the instructions:
    1. Start Parallels Desktop
    2. Go to your virtual machine's Configuration > Hardware tab > Network 1
    3. In Source, choose " Default adapter " under Bridge network

9. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You will not get any error like this if change the network mode in VM configuration. You have mentioned that the NAS is connected via ethernet, would like to know if it is connected to the Mac directly via ethernet or to the router. If it is connected to Mac, what is the IP address of NAS and Windows?

10. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We are glad to see your active contribution in the forum.

Arunraj likes this.
  11. Arunraj

Arunraj Junior Member

Thank you Ajith :)