Using task sequence

Discussion in 'Parallels Mac Management for Microsoft SCCM' started by PasiM, Apr 12, 2017.

1. PasiM

PasiM Bit poster

Hi,
    In Windows world it is possible to create a task sequence containing only software installation tasks without operating system deployment. Is similar task sequence possible in Macs?
    I tried to create a task sequence about Office 2016 installation with all Office updates, but it doesn't work. Nothing happens. The task sequence does not have OS X deployment in it.

2. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

I don't think it is possible. I tried the same thing and Netbooted to the TS and it failed instantly. I think the reason is because from what i can gather from logs, after the OS installation, it sets up the rest of the TS as launchdaemons. Those LD's are triggered after the reboot from installing the OS. Without an OS application, it cannot set those up and therefore cannot run the steps in the TS. This could be wrong, but it's my best guess as to what is happening. It's also probably why there is no "restart computer" step in the TS. I believe that would then clear out the LD's and you'd be in the same place.

All theory from logs, but I think that is what is happening.

3. PVCIT

PVCIT Junior Member

Sounds about right. For whatever reason currently, Parallels needs the apply mac os to be happy then everything after that is run in the os. The funny part is a reboot actually does not get rid of the launchagents. That happens at the end of the task. I add a command to delete the launchagents and daemons and then reboot at the end.

4. Yury Averkiev

Yury Averkiev Program Manager Member

Folks, we are planning to get rid of the OS deployment step being a mandatory steep. Most likely this will be implemented in the v7.

5. PasiM

PasiM Bit poster

Thanks for the answer, we just need to wait for that and use some other creative ways to replace the task sequence process.

6. MarkC23

MarkC23 Bit poster

Microsoft release the latest version as a downloadable package, i'd just use this from here https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...-for-Mac-700cab62-0d67-4f23-947b-3686cb1a8eb7 or use AutoPKG.

How you license it is the question, we have to use the volume licenser so use an installer script with this included which also sets first run settings, removes Office 2011 if present and changes the annoying save default to local instead of cloud.

7. PVCIT

PVCIT Junior Member

Best bet is just to create a custom package that has the office install, activation (if volume license), removing first prompt screens, and the updates together in one package. If you never created a package before its a lot easier than it sounds.