PMM PSUS w/ CAS

Discussion in 'Parallels Mac Management for Microsoft SCCM' started by RobertM25, Apr 18, 2017.

1. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

So in my environment i have two Primary Sites with a CAS. I have PMM installed on each Primary Site. How does PSUS work with a CAS?

I have done the steps at the end up the certificate setup:
    The following steps should be done on both WSUS and SCCM SMS Provider servers (considering that WSUS and SCCM SMS Provider are running on different servers):

• click Win+R combination to open Run dialog, enter mmc to open MMC Console.

• click File > Add/Remove Snap-in....

• in the left pane of Add or Remove Snap-ins window select Certificates and click Add > button.

• in the Certificates snap-in window select Local computer account > Finish > OK.

• in the Certificates snap-in select Trusted Root Certification Authorities > right-click Certificates > All Tasks > Import and import the certificate you just exported.

• in the Certificates snap-in select Trusted Publishers > right-click Certificates > All Tasks > Import and import the same certificate.
    And all of this is setup correctly. When I go to products and classifications to select Apple updates, i have to do that on the CAS. The documentation only says to do it on the Primary. Because of this, there is no Apple updates available to be selected on the CAS. Do i also have to do the certificate work on the CAS along with the Primary sites? There is no documentation on how to get this to function when a CAS is in the environment.

2. TimofeyF

TimofeyF Parallels Team

Hi Robert,

- It looks strange that you see no apple updates in the console. On CAS, did you follow the procedure "Configuring SCCM and Deploying OS X Updates" from the Administrators Guide (p.163) after PSUS installation?
    - PSUS should be installed on each Primary Site, regardless of the CAS presence.

Timofey.

3. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

Yes I did do that and the Parallels Software Update point is installed on a dedicated SUP Server, not on the primary. I did do the certificate work on the dedicated SUP that has PSUS and also on the Primary site where PMM is installed and the SMS provider is. Do i need to install it on the primary also?

I am getting these errors from the primary site in the pmm_sup_service.log

03-30 08:17:05.048 W /PolicyTools:2348:94c/ Download operation for 'http://swscan.apple.com/content/cat...n-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog' finished with 1 (Connection refused)
    03-30 08:17:05.048 W /SusCatalogWatcher:2348:94c/ Failed to refresh catalog: 1

4. TimofeyF

TimofeyF Parallels Team

Looks like you have a web proxy running. If so, you need to configure the proxy settings for PSUS, so it can access the outer space. See p.162 for details.
    If no, then it would be better to contact our support team and provide all the needed Problem Reports.

5. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

Where do i specify the proxy information? On the dedicated SUP, the primary site, or the CAS?

6. TimofeyF

TimofeyF Parallels Team

On the host where the PSUS service is running.

7. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

So this doesn't follow the WSUS methodology of the the SUP on the CAS being the highest SUP and then primary site being downstream? This just bypasses the CAS?

8. TimofeyF

TimofeyF Parallels Team

We store the basic package information in WSUS. This info is provided to SCCM and used for updates deployment. The apple updates binaries cannot be stored in SCCM due to SCCM API limitations, so we need to keep them (or links to them) externally.
    Anyways, you can install PSUP on CAS, AND on Primary Sites, and SCCM will propagate the information downstream as usual. But PSUS on Primary Sites need to access the Apple SUS servers (or your internal cache servers) to operate. But you didn't mention that you have local updates cache, so the Apple Sus servers is the case.

9. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

10. TimofeyF

TimofeyF Parallels Team

- did you restart the PSUS service?
    - please try to follow the link to suscatalog manually from that host. in case of problem there may be an issue with your web proxy.
    if it will download the catalog successfully, then please contact the support team.

11. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

Old thread I know.. but I got PSUS to download all the updates, yet "Apple" is still not listed in Products on the CAS. I suspect this is because PSUS is installed on the Primary and Sync'd there. The primary is downstream from the CAS and does not sync upwards. The only place to select products/classifications is on the CAS.

When is Parallels going to take companies with a CAS into account? We are dangerously close to dropping PMM because literally none of it plays nice with a CAS.

12. Yury Averkiev

Yury Averkiev Program Manager Member

Hi Robert,
    I'll drop you an email. We are currently planning next v7. I would like to speak to you regarding what features are important to you.