Parallels (12.2.0-41591) + Win 10 Pro (latest) = Windows Desktop initialization failure

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TomW10, May 31, 2017.

1. TomW10

TomW10 Bit poster

First of all, I am definitely doing edgy work. Because of my eyes, I need a Mac (so much better universal text scaling than Windows). I have a mid-2015 15" MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM running Sierra. I just purchased Parallels Desktop Pro and installed the latest version (12.2.0-41591). I then created a VM by pxe-booting our corporate Win 10 Pro installer. Everything went smoothly. Then, I enabled "nested Hyper-V" (in Parallels) and installed Docker for Windows (17.05 Edge). Over the corporate network, IT pushed ManageEngine to handle Windows updates and remote package installs. Then they pushed eset for anti-virus and malware. Still no problems. But then yesterday when I shutdown Windows, it returned to the "Welcome" screen (with actively revolving dots) and just stuck there until I finally "stopped" the VM. And now, I get stuck on the same "Welcome" screen 4 out of 5 times that I start up the VM. If it does start, then I can't use my keyboard (or even the virtual keyboard) on the Windows Desktop. I can use it in any app that was auto-launched. But, I can't launch any new apps. When I tell Windows to shutdown, it goes back to the "revolving dots" welcome screen and stays there forever. It seems like the Windows Desktop never finishes initializing. Perhaps that's why the keyboard won't work and it returns to the welcome screen when I try to shutdown.

This is basically a "hail Mary", hoping that someone has a suggestion that saves me from having to start all over.

2. Pawel Guraj

Pawel Guraj Junior Member

After yesterday's Windows 10 update my Windows 10 Home (latest) stopped working under Parallels 12.2.0-41591.
    Although I can go thorough login screen then the desktop appears and explorer (start menu bar) is keeping not responding and restarting every few seconds.
    Did not find any way to overcome this.

Br, Pawel.

3. TomW10

TomW10 Bit poster

That's just what's happening to me. The menu bar never finishes loading and will not accept keyboard input. Maybe someone from Parallels Support will take interest??

4. Pawel Guraj

Pawel Guraj Junior Member

I've installed new instance of Windows 10 Creator's Update and it works fine, so the problem lies somewhere in upgraded Windows.
    Still not everyone can afford to reinstall Windows I guess.

br, Pawel.

5. TomW10

TomW10 Bit poster

Mine was a fresh install of Win 10 Pro, albeit from our corporate IT golden image. It worked fine for a while, then quit. Something (possibly Docker for Windows) is causing the menu bar to crash and/or fail to load completely. But, as a result, I'm stuck.

6. RichardG7

RichardG7 Bit poster