problem deleting or moving files on webdrive

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Ovate, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Ovate

Ovate Junior Member

I'm using a Macbook pro (2009), Mac OS Sierra, and Parallels 11 for Mac.
    When I am connected to my work webdrive on Windows via parallels on my Mac at home I frequently get the error message, "The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder. You can shorten the file name and try again, or try a location that has a shorter path". If I try and move or delete the same files on the drive when I'm in the office using my Windows PC I do not get the same problem, so I'm presuming that using Parallels on the Mac to access the Webrive through Windows increases the path length beyond the 259 character limit that the Windows operating system allows.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem, and would there be any way to get round this problem on Parallels? The names of the files are not that long and the problem doesn't exist when using Windows without Parallels.

Cheers
    Colin

AlexW6 likes this.
  2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @Ovate , please click Parallels icon ll > Actions > Devices > Network > Select Default Adaptor (Bridge) and let us know if that works. If the issue still persists, please help us with the screen shots , so that we will check and assist you further.

3. Ovate

Ovate Junior Member

Hi there, thanks for your reply, however I'm afraid I'm stumped already. Clicking on Parallels Desktop icon in the dock I can't find an "Actions" option. Can you please explain further. Thanks again.

4. Arun@Parallels

Hi @Ovate, please click on the Parallels Icon ll on the top of your Mac and let us know if that works.

5. Ovate

Ovate Junior Member

Ah sorry, got it now. I choose the default adaptor within the bridged network menu, as shown in the screen shot. Windows then asked me if it was a work or public network, I chose work. No other dialogue boxes appeared. I then tried to move the files again and I got the same error message stated above. I have restarted windows, but that didn't help either I'm afraid.

6. Arun@Parallels

Hi @Ovate , please help us with the screen shot of the error message, we will check and assist you further.

7. Ovate

Ovate Junior Member

sorry, attachment this time....

Attached Files:

8. Ovate

Ovate Junior Member

error message attached

Attached Files:

9. Arun@Parallels

Hi @Ovate , seems to be an issue with Windows , discussed in the Microsoft forum here.

10. Ovate

Ovate Junior Member

Hi there, the problem is I don't get this problem when I'm accessing the webdrive from a Windows PC. I only get the problem when I'm accessing from Windows running on Parallels. As I thought that Parallels may be extending the length of the path considerably, I wondered if there might be a way to get round this. The actual length of the path plus folder and file names is no where near the limit that Windows sets of around 259 characters - without using Parallels, that is.

Kind regards
    Colin

11. PeterB22

PeterB22 Bit poster

You should try out Long Path Tool program. I had the same problem, but this solved them all

12. ConstanceP

ConstanceP Bit poster

"Long Path Tool" is very helpful for this error! the best solution for your problem.

13. DaveM9

DaveM9 Bit poster

Long Path tool can resolve error messages like: path too long, cannot delete file, too long path, destination path is too long, etc.