Upgraded Boot Camp Windows 10 to 1703 now it won't boot vm

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ParallelsU70, Jun 22, 2017.

1. ParallelsU70

ParallelsU70 Bit poster

I am using Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac Version 11.2.3 (32663)

I have been using boot camp with Windows 10 on my iMac since I got it, and have been using a Parallels' VM to access the boot camp partition for nearly that long.

I had been trying to install some software on the Windows side only to find it needed a newer version of Windows, so I upgraded it to the latest current branch. This is the version that Microsoft recommends. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-info.aspx

However, whilst Boot Camp works fine - I can reboot in Windows and back to OS X without issues. The Parallels' VM stopped working with a message "Configuration of this boot camp virtual machine doesn't match that of the real boot camp partition". I have tried deleting the VM and recreating it but the option "Use Windows from Boot Camp" doesn't exist. I tried the instructions for connecting to Boot Camp partition when this option isn't present (http://kb.parallels.com/en/112941 ) but it gives an error "Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition's hard disk".

What is going on here? Is Parallels Version 11.2.3 not compatible with Windows 10 1703? This is the Microsoft recommended version.

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello @ParallelsU70. Please open Disk Utility (Finder -> Go -> Utilities -> Disk Utility) and Startup Disk (Apple Icon -> System Preferences -> Startup Disk). Does your boot camp partition appear in both of the said locations?

3. ParallelsU70

ParallelsU70 Bit poster

> Please open Disk Utility (Finder -> Go -> Utilities -> Disk Utility) and Startup Disk (Apple Icon -> System Preferences -> Startup Disk). Does your boot camp partition appear in both of the said locations?

Yes to both questions.
    As I said Boot Camp works as it should.

4. Hemnath@Parallels

Then this article might help (the steps therein are applicable although the article itself is for older Parallels versions).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  5. ParallelsU70

ParallelsU70 Bit poster

I have had to use Time Machine to restore my original Windows10.pvm which does not work now. (Previous instructions were to delete and re-install.... delete worked reinstall didn't)
    Anyway, I tried the steps in the article you linked but it still isn't working. Unmounting works, but I still cannot create a VM to the Boot Camp partition.
    Show Package contents to Windows10.pvm I see I have read/write access to "APPLE HDD ST2000DM001 (disk0).hdd" listed there.
    However $ diskutil list suggests that at some point my Windows partition has changed to disk1
    vormela:~ howard$ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk0
    1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 121.0 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk1
    1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
    2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 1.5 TB disk1s2
    3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk1s3
    4: Microsoft Basic Data Putorius 501.2 GB disk1s4
    5: Windows Recovery 471.9 MB disk1s5

/dev/disk2 (internal, virtual):
    0: Apple_HFS Vormela +1.6 TB disk2
    Logical Volume on disk0s2, disk1s2
    283BB03D-9F8A-4EF5-860A-82C683E77B3C
    Unencrypted Fusion Drive

6. Hemnath@Parallels

Please remove all external devices, if any and if possible, from your Mac and try these steps. Keep us posted in case the issue still persists.

7. CameronA

CameronA Junior Member

The exact same problem with me starting today. It was either a Windows update or me updating to beta 2 of High Sierra

8. Hemnath@Parallels

There is a very strong possibility that this is the cause of the issue. Parallels Desktop 12 (let alone version 11 or earlier) does not officially support High Sierra that has been made available as a beta yet. We are closely working with Apple on providing official support for High Sierra. At this time, we are requesting users of version 12 to wait for an update. As for your scenario, you may use a trial copy of Parallels 12 on your Mac and see if that makes a difference.

9. CameronA

CameronA Junior Member

I am using PD 12

10. Hemnath@Parallels

Alright. Please reproduce the issue, generate a Problem Report ID (it's imperative that you do this when the error message is displayed on the screen) and include the same in your reply.

11. ParallelsU70

ParallelsU70 Bit poster

Tried both running error checking from within Windows and chkdsk /r /f however I am still unable to create a VM that runs from boot camp.
    Boot camp partition has gone back to being disk0

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk0
    1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 1.5 TB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
    4: Microsoft Basic Data Putorius 501.2 GB disk0s4
    5: Windows Recovery 471.9 MB disk0s5

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk1
    1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
    2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 121.0 GB disk1s2
    3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk1s3

/dev/disk2 (internal, virtual):
    0: Apple_HFS Vormela +1.6 TB disk2
    Logical Volume on disk1s2, disk0s2
    283BB03D-9F8A-4EF5-860A-82C683E77B3C
    Unencrypted Fusion Drive

When I try and manually connect to the Boot Camp partition I get the following error.

Error: PRL_ERR_UNIMPLEMENTED (0x80000008)

Path: '/Users/howard/Documents/Parallels/Windows 10.pvm/APPLE HDD ST2000DM001 (disk0).hdd'

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  12. Hemnath@Parallels

If you're still getting the same error that you reported in the beginning, then please reproduce the issue, generate a Problem Report ID (it's absolutely necessary that this is done when the error message is displayed on the screen) and reply with the same.
    Please confirm whether the boot camp partition still works fine natively.