Excel suddenly crashing when deleting rows or columns

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Glen_Parallels, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Glen_Parallels

Glen_Parallels Junior Member

Hello, I am posting here hoping somebody may recognise this problem.

I've suddenly started experiencing a frustrating random problem with Excel 2010, which I run in Windows 10 under Parallels Version 12.1.3 (41532) on an iMac.

Whenever I need to delete columns or delete rows from an Excel spreadsheet, at some unpredictable point part way through the process Excel crashes every time.

After rebooting, the error message always says:

"One or more invalid conditional formats were removed from the workbook".

In the original file that failed, I've gone right through and thinned out and simplified all of the conditional formatting, but to no avail.

I have also spent hours trying to isolate when the problem started occurring, but it is not just on files I have edited recently or after any known event, and can happen on any old file I try.

I tried doing a System Restore only to find that it had been turned off so that was useless.

I did run a repair of Office 2010 but nothing improved.

I have tried running Excel in Safe Mode but the problem still occurs.

This has cost a lot of lost time and unreliability with my work and I am no closer to a solution.

The only thing I did notice is that there seems to have been a major update of Office 2010 and Windows in the last day or two.

Has anyone any advice on how I can fix this please?

Thankyou for your assistance.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  2. Glen_Parallels

I'm starting to read a lot about the recent Microsoft update KB3178690 causing problems, so this may be the source of my issue. I'll investigate further.

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Y
    Yes @Glen_Parallels , This security update KB3178690 contains improvements and fixes for nonsecurity issues like when you save a workbook that has future metadata in cells with Boolean or error values in Excel 2010, Excel crashes. Or, the future metadata in cells with Boolean or error values are corrupted. You may follow up with this thread and let us know if you have any issue in Parallels Desktop and we are here to help!

4. Glen_Parallels

Thankyou @PaulChris@Parallels it seems that this update could well be the culprit!
    So far, uninstalling KB3178690 seems to have solved my problem.

5. Glen_Parallels

6. lorein

lorein Member

Well, try to move your Excel file to another computer and try opening the file there. It seems as your Excel file gets corrupted or must be facing any kind of error. So, try to run the open and repair utility but if this fails then scan your system with the third party MS Excel Repair Tool. This is complete repair utility to fix any sort of errors, issues in Excel file. Its demo version is free so scan your system to check whether the error is detected or not.

http://www.repairmsexcel.com/?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=ref&utm_campaign=bl

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

8. Glen_Parallels

Thankyou for the suggestion however the problem was the rogue update
    KB3178690