Debian 9 "Stretch" on Parallels 12.1.3 not working

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by UlrichJ2, Mar 13, 2017.

1. UlrichJ2

UlrichJ2 Bit poster

I have a quite strange problem: When Debian Stretch starts, the text in the VM window blinks during startup of Debian. Then it stops but does not start GDM. When i switch with ctrl-alt-2 and log in as root, I can start GDM with startx.
    With Parallel Tools installed the quest crashes when the VM was not used for 5 or 10 minutes. It begins blinking an jumping to the console and back to the graphical screen.

Has anyone successfully installed Debian 9 Stretch RC2 on Parallels? (if someone has it on VMware I am happy as well)

2. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

For now I suggest to workaround this issue by switching to lightdm display manager. Just apt-get install lightdm and select it as a default manager.

3. Aurélien Campéas

Aurélien Campéas Junior Member

Hello, same situation here. Now, launching startx directly I get a "no screens found (EE)".
    Also the "parallels tools install" menu entry is greyed. Any remaining option ?

Thanks in advance,
    Aurélien.

4. rkulikov

> Hello, same situation here. Now, launching startx directly I get a "no screens found (EE)".
    What's yours Parallels Desktop version?

5. Aurélien Campéas

12.2.0 (41591)

6. rkulikov

Aurélien, try to remove Parallels Tools first by running this command in guest under root:
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/install -r
    And then install Tools once again. If it doesn't work please share full guest's /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

7. Aurélien Campéas

Ah, thanks, that did it !