Move .pvm to a new folder

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by KarenR2, Jun 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. KarenR2

KarenR2 Bit poster

The IT guys at my company set up my new laptop with the .pvm on the desktop and it's driving me crazy. How can I move it to its proper location in the Documents/Parallels folder?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @KarenR2,

Please stop or suspend your virtual machine before following the steps below:

1. By default, virtual machine files are located either in Documents/Parallels folder inside your user folder, or in /Users/Shared/Parallels.
    2. Copy the .pvm file to an external hard drive
    3. Double-click on it to open the virtual machine.

3. KarenR2

KarenR2 Bit poster

Yes, I know that by default that's where the file should live. But that's not where my IT guys put it. They put it on my desktop.
    When I tried to move it to the Documents/Parallels folder (drag and drop), it didn't work any more.
    I do not want to move it to an external hard drive. I want it on the same hard drive it's on, just in the proper location.

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @KarenR2 , just to confirm, is the drag and drop not working or after dragging and dropping the .pvm file is not working?

5. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

6. KarenR2

KarenR2 Bit poster

Arun - The latter. After I drag and drop, the .pvm file is not working. When I click on it, Parallels just comes up with a ?. Also, when I drag and drop it, Parallels auto-created a replacement .pvm on the desktop.

7. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @KarenR2 , please check this article and let us know if that works.