Host 10.12 Sierra: install attempt of 10.13 High Sierra in a Guest VM session

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by DanT3, Jun 30, 2017.

1. DanT3

DanT3 Bit poster

Is there an updated Parallels versions (beta or otherwise) available that will support the beta version of High Sierra?

Host Environment:
    • Machine: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), 8GB RAM
    • Base OS: macOS Sierra 10.12.5
    • Parallels: Version 12.2.0 (41591)

Guest VM environment & Install steps:
    1. Used the Parallels VM "Install OS X 10.12.5 Using the Recovery Partition" feature to setup an initial VM
    2. Exit the VM, increase allocated RAM to 3072 GB, then create a parallels snapshot
    3. Attempted installation using the beta macOS High Sierra upgrade package (via Apple's publicly available "macOS Public Beta Access Utility")
    4. MacOS High Sierra Beta install utility downloads from Apple's website
    5. Installer options selected with
      • "Open", "Continue", "Agree", "agree", specify target HD & "continue", select "Upgrade XX HD to APFS" & "install", confirm credentials & "restart"
    6. Install begins Upon restart, and ultimately fails out with error:
      "macOS could not be installed on your computer.

Storage system verify or repair failed.
      Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again"
      • It bears mentioning, the error persists even with the APS option deselected
    Any guidance is greatly appreciated

2. tannebil

tannebil Junior Member

Known issues list says it won't work if the VM was created from the Recovery Partition. I built a Sierra USB, installed from it, and upgraded without a problem (once I remembered to uncheck the APFS option). Seems OK. Some people complain it is unreasonably slow but I have not had an issue (2012 Mac Mini w/ SSD and 16GB).

DanT4 likes this.
  3. DanT4

DanT4 Bit poster

Thanks for the great feedback - I'll give that a shot within the next couple days and report back. Much appreciated, and hope you have a Happy 4'th

4. DanT4

DanT4 Bit poster

Installed using the process you described (also without the APFS option) and it worked like a charm. Thanks again for the feedback!

5. StefanS6

StefanS6 Bit poster

In case it helps anyone else: I had the same error, and I was able to fix it by removing the snapshot from the VM.
    I started with a clone of my Sierra VM but didn't realise that the Snapshot was cloned as well (my mistake, should have known...). When trying to upgrade to High Sierra I kept getting the error "Storage system verify or repair failed".
    After removing the snapshot I no long got this error.