Add Windows Shortcut to Mac Dock

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by PathologyI, Nov 4, 2016.

1. PathologyI

PathologyI Bit poster

We have a Windows based application that creates a shortcut for users to click on. The shortcut adds criteria to the "Target" and "Start in" fields.
    If I view the Windows user's desktop, I can double-click on the shortcut, the application runs as expected.

I would like to add that shortcut (or something that does its job) to the Mac user's Dock...
    But when I drag the shortcut into the Dock, I get a generic icon that does nothing when clicked (default app to open is "Parallels Link").
    Do I need to create some kind of app in Windows to get this to work?
    (another thread mentioned copying one of the Mac-local Windows apps that Parallels creates, but I only see "APP Path" (not "Target" and "Start in")...

Thank you, Brian

2. PathologyI

PathologyI Bit poster

We modified one of the Window apps created by Parallels (changing the name, APP Path, and icon) and it is now able to open the shortcut as we needed. Thank you!

3. Ahwman

Ahwman Junior Member

Pathology,

Would you be so kind to detail how you accomplished this, as I would like to do the very same thing. I'm looking to simply create a custom shortcut which will launch Windows Update which I can place in the OSX dock...

Thanks,
    Chuck

4. DavidS44

DavidS44 Bit poster

Navigate to your user Home Folder (if you can't find, it open Finder/Preferences and check the box that shows a small house, then navigate to that). Navigate to Applications (Parallels)/Windows 7 [or the name of your Windows version] Applications. Drag the desired .app file to the dock

5. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @DavidS44 , thank you for sharing this with us. We appreciate your time and participation.