Bypassing Cisco Clean Access Agent with Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by parallel20, Sep 15, 2007.

1. parallel20

parallel20 Bit poster

Hi there,

I attend a university that uses the Cisco Clean Access Agent, and I am trying to see if there is a way to be able to use the internet in Windows without having to download the software program required for Windows users. I use a MBP, and all I have to do to access the internet through the Mac side is go through a Cisco webpage that I am redirected to. When I first tested Parallels to make sure I wouldn't need to install the program for Windows, the internet worked without a problem. For some reason, now IE directs me to the Cisco page and is requiring me to download the agent. Given I am rarely going to be using the internet besides for accessing some programs I can't get on the Mac side (such as Napster), I would prefer to not have to download this program for Windows. Has anyone had this problem, or know if it is possible to get around having to download the program? As I stated, when I first tested Parallels it did not require me to go through this step, and connected right to the internet without redirecting me, so I can only assume that there is a way to do this. Thank you very much for your time and help, I greatly appreciate it.

Best,
    David

2. mrfearless47

mrfearless47 Member

If your University uses Cisco Clean Agent as a VPN, you aren't going to be able to bypass it without installing the Cisco client. I don't understand your objection to downloading a small program that gives you access to a University's WAN. These systems are usually powerful and fast. Your reluctance makes me suspect that you don't want to be "tracked" through the University's computer and that you want the benefits of their system to perform some nefarious activities - like downloading large, perhaps, illegal videos and music. If you could provide a rational reason why you would want to bypass the Cisco Clean agent, I'm sure there are people who inhabit this group who might be able to give you pointers. We're not all pure as driven snow, but your question just smells of "file sharing" without tracking.

3. parallel20

parallel20 Bit poster

Thank you for your response. Apparently, I was not clear with my intentions. I have no problem at all using the Cisco Clean Agent, as every time I use the internet on the Mac side, I sign in through a web browser. The issue is using the internet on the Windows side, something that I will only be doing to use the pay-per-month program, Napster (can only use on Windows).

All I am trying to figure out is if there is a way that I can use my logged-in name on the Mac side, so the Windows side can be logged onto the internet as well. When I first tested Parallels, it automatically did this.Now it is redirecting me to a log-in page. Last night, I actually went ahead and just downloaded the Cisco Clean Agent program, and it wouldn't allow me to sign in on the Windows side because I was already signed in under my account on the Mac side; so that's the issue. I can assure you that I am NOT trying to "bypass" the program so I can file-share. I am just having troubles connecting to the internet on the Windows side using Parallels. Thank you.

Best,
    David

4. mrfearless47

mrfearless47 Member

Most systems won't let you have multiple signins. Why do you need to be "signed in" on the Mac side. If you are using a wired or wireless connection, you'll automatically be connected on the Windows side if your network options are set right in Parallels. Your network setting in Parallels should be set to "shared". Occasionally bridged works for me, but "shared" works reliably. My wife has to use the Cisco VPN to access her work. The other end only recognizes Windows clients; hence Parallels. We can be on our Comcast network automatically on the Mac side, load parallels and have instant internet access on the Windows side. She then fires up the Cisco VPN, is presented with her work's site, logs in and then she can use any of her work's assets she needs.

If I understand your problem, you are trying to do the same thing. If the issue is that you are using your school's wireless on the Mac side (and you have to sign in) and then try to sign in again on the Windows side, then you have a different matter. In that case, I would NOT sign in on the Mac side, load up Parallels and then try to sign in. I'm not sure how to overcome the multiple login problem.

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I would recommend using Shared Networking. It should take the connection from your OS X and pass it to the Windows.