Parallels 12 installed on High Sierra

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by TonyT1, Jun 14, 2017.

1. TonyT1

TonyT1 Bit poster

Is anyone seeing issues with this? Does Parallels have a beta group to test upgrades for High Sierra?

2. PaulS25

PaulS25 Bit poster

Hi,
    VM's on APFS filesystems went bad - corrupted and became unbootable there is a KB on this http://www.kb.parallels.com/en/123840
    Restored them back to an HFS+ second disk and all has been OK with them so far.
    I have had a couple of crashes and sent the reports into Parallels but nothing major when running from HFS+ filesystems.
    Thanks

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @TonyT1,
    Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac does not officially support High Sierra that has been made available as a beta yet. We are closely working with Apple on providing official support for High Sierra.

We recommend you to wait for an update of Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac that will be available with High Sierra. Subscribe to http://kb.parallels.com/123948 to know when a new update is available.

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @PaulS25, yes! You are correct. Our development team is working with the APFS file system and we will update you via the same article.

5. Has Parallels said anything about providing 32 bit support (XP, Snow Leopard Server) on High Sierra? Are all VMs going to have to be 64 bit?

6. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Parallels Desktop 12 will support High Sierra when it is officially released and we can only know the types of Guest OS's supported after that. If you are using beta version of High Sierra and facing any issue particularly with 32bit virtual machines, share it with us.

7. PaulC13

PaulC13 Bit poster

The latest build of High Sierra, unlike the previous one, somehow doesn't even allow the "System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General" panel to display "Parallels, Inc" so I can click on "Allow." I'm using Parallels Desktop 12.2.1 (41615). It doesn't get past the warning as indicated in the screen shot.

Attached Files:

8. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

Same here (I think as what you are saying).

There is no mention of Parallels, nor an option to "allow" using it Parallels.jpeg

9. KatiaF

KatiaF Bit poster

Try downgrading to 12.2.0. That worked for me.

megavolt17 likes this.
  10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @megavolt17,
    As macOS High Sierra is not officially released it is not supported by us. You can try disabling System Integrity Protection and check if you can use Parallels Desktop.
    Follow these steps to disable SIP:
    1. Restart your Mac.
    2. Before OS X starts up, hold down Command-R and keep it held down until you see an Apple icon and a progress bar. Release. This boots you into Recovery.
    3. From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
    4. At the prompt type exactly the following and then press Return: csrutil disable
    5. Terminal should display a message that SIP was disabled.
    6.From the menu, select Restart.
    7. You can re-enable SIP by following the above steps, but using csrutil enable instead.

11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @KatiaF, thanks for the suggestion.
    We recommend installing Parallels Desktop updates as soon as they are available because they contain critical fixes and improvements.
    To check for updates, go to the Parallels Desktop menu and click on Check for Updates. Follow the steps mentioned above to fix the issue.

12. KatiaF

KatiaF Bit poster

@PaulChris@Parallels Sorry, but I don't feel comfortable disabling SIP. SIP's main purpose is to prevent malware. I have disabled SIP before to perform an installation or a necessary change but then reverted back to SIP immediately. IMO running an older version of Parallels is less risky, especially if you mostly work on your Mac and occasionally in Parallels like I do.

13. Killerbob

Killerbob Member

@parallels; please get another version published ASAP. Beta4 has been out for a while, and now the combo High Sierra Parallels does not at all...

And, don't tell me to continue checking for updates... The Parallels application will not een start up now, and though I can check the version etc., but it will not execute "check for updates"...

14. megavolt17

I'd try downgrading to 12.2.0, but since Parallels did the updates I don't have a copy. I can only fine 12.2.1 online... I would prefer not to disable SIP because it's main function is to improve security.

I wonder if not having the "allow" button is a Parallels glitch, or a High Sierra glitch. I had other software (Default Folder X) where I just clicked "allow" and all was well.

15. PaulC13

PaulC13 Bit poster

I tried this, and it DOES work with SIP disabled. I successfully ran Parallels. However, once SIP is re-enabled, it no longer works, stopping at the above attached images. There is still no option to "allow" the "Parallels, Inc" to run Virtual Machines. It doesn't even show up. I have however, been able to temporarily run and use the Parallels Desktop Lite app installed from the Mac App store. I say temporarily because it is really just a trial app, but it does work?!

16. megavolt17

12.2.0 works fine. I'll keep the DMG and try the next High Sierra update or next Parallels update to see if the issue is resolved. Can't go without playing Steam on Win 10 any longer!

17. megavolt17

Version 12.2.1 works with latest High Sierra beta (17A344b)!

18. RafalW

RafalW Bit poster

Is version 13 of PD is ready for macOS X High Sierra?

19. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Parallels Desktop 13 will support, after High Sierra is released officially.