How can I install a Ghosted image into Parallels?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by maser, Sep 17, 2007.

1. maser

maser Bit poster

For loading my Windows boxes, I boot from a Ghost 10 CD and can see a ghosted image off my external USB hard disk.

(I can do the same thing on my Windows boxes with an Acronis CD as well.)

However, setting up a Parallels disk image to boot from the Ghost/Acronis CD isn't seeing the external USB hard disk. If I go to the Devices menu and select my external USB drive just prior to the CD boot, it dismounts from the Mac desktop, and Ghost appears to see a "Fat 32" drive -- but doesn't see any of the files on it.

Is there some workaround anybody can think of that I can somehow see my image files (I could move them off the USB hard disk to the internal mac HD) so that Parallels will see them when I'm booting from a Ghost/Acronis CD when setting up a new VM?

Thanks!

- Steve

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I would try moving the file onto a Virtual HD via Explorer and then connecting both virtual disks (meaning, the new one you just created and the one that was created as part of your installation) to the configuration file, and then boot from the cd and see if it shows up.

3. maser

maser Bit poster

That might work. I tried making a .dmg file and setting that as a CD-ROM, but that didn't work (may need to be an .iso file instead.)

I was able to copy my Ghost files to my bootcamp partition, though, and Ghost then saw that as a drive. That's a harder workaround, though -- especially if I don't want to use Bootcamp (as the Ghosted bootcamp working disk is *not* being seen correctly by Parallels...)

Thanks for the tip! Making a 2nd Virtual Hard disk to store the Ghost images may be the way to make this work...

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

It should be something to make it work. People have also reported success in imaging a HD and changing it to a .iso and just converting that over. I would stick with something less of a workaround like just using a second virtual HD.