Uninstalling Parallels + XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by tdaulerio, Apr 6, 2006.

1. tdaulerio

tdaulerio Bit poster

Being completely new to this whole concept, Windows XP via Parallels is useless to me until it supports Airport.

So, how does one remove EVERYTHING that I have installed today. I notice Parallels has created a hell of a lot of files everywhere.

Is there a simply un-installer?

How do i get rid of all the XP files too?

2. schmidp

schmidp Member

it workes for me with airport out of the box.

3. tdaulerio

tdaulerio Bit poster

how did you set it up to connect via airport dude?

4. ms @ parallels

ms @ parallels Parallels Team

Sorry but now completely uninstaller in unavalibale, but you can remove files by hands.
    There is list of directories which you can remove for "uninstall" Parallels and Xp.
    1. /Applications/Parallels
    2. /Library/Parallels
    3. /Library/StartupItems/Parallels
    4. /Users/<your name>/Library/Parallels

That's all. After this you must reboot for unload drivers (or run sudo /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/Parallels stop). And you system become as clean of Parallels.

PS: If you using non-standart location for VirtualMachine you must run Parallels, select configuration and run "Delete VM Wizard" before removing Parallels.

5. schmidp

schmidp Member

i did nothing special, i briged the network to en1 and windows just got an ip from my dhcp server.
    worked out of the box as i said.

6. tdaulerio

tdaulerio Bit poster

woohooo
    It works connected via Airport! How cool!

7. daveschroeder

daveschroeder Member

This shell script will remove ALL of Parallels from your computer, INCLUDING your VMs:

#!/bin/sh
    sudo /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/Parallels stop
    sudo rm -rf /Library/Parallels
    sudo rm -rf /Library/Receipts/Parallels.pkg
    sudo rm -rf /Applications/Parallels.app
    sudo rm -rf /Library/StartupItems/Parallels
    sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.parallels.Parallels.plist
    sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Parallels
    sudo rm -rf ~/.parallels_settings

8. eevyl

eevyl Bit poster

That won't work as of beta6 as it installs a bunch of kernel extensions. I really hope Parallels releases an uninstaller as I don't like to keep kernel extensions around if I have to uninstall the app for one reason or another.

9. missiled

missiled Junior Member

Sooo...

Will this script work or not for Beta 6?

I still find it completely unbelievable that Parallels is on Beta #6 and STILL hasn't released an approved uninstaller.

Parallels is getting massive compliments for how frequently they're releasing upgrades, and how well they're listening to "potential" customers' requests - EXCEPT FOR AN UNINSTALLER.

10. backtothemac

backtothemac Member

Dude, chill. Run the script that is provided in this thread, and follow the instructions, and you will not have a problem. If you don't know enough about OS X to do this, then I would suggest that in the future, don't use beta software and you won't have any problems. :rolleyes:

11. Djoh

Djoh Member

Didn't all versions install Kernel Extensions? Don't be afraid, kernel extensions go away when you move them out of the appropriate folder (ie. remove /Library/Startup Items/Parallels) and restart. it's quite safe, like the man said, try it and you'll see how easy it is.