Cannot create High Sierra VM

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Lee4, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Lee4

Lee4 Member

Hi, keep getting stuck when trying to create a VM at this point. Any hints welcome, thanks.

upload_2017-8-12_16-11-56.png

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @Lee4 , Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac is not officially supported to work with high sierra. We are working on it .Plz subscribe to our newsletter bit.ly/1D0zk8l to get notified by our updates.

3. Lee4

Lee4 Member

Ah, ok thanks. From some other posts I though this could be done now. thanks

4. DonMontalvoCA

DonMontalvoCA Member

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hello DonMontalvoCA,
    If you have read the blog, it is clearly mentioned that High Sierra VM was not created directly instead a macOS X Sierra VM was upgraded to High Sierra. You can also try the same and check. Also at the end of the blog, it is clearly mentioned Parallels doesn't officially support the Developer Preview of High Sierra. You can try the same steps in the blog and share the results with us.

6. DonMontalvoCA

DonMontalvoCA Member

If you have read the blog
    Yes, of course, that's why the blog was mentioned. :)
    The blog follows the same route as previous Beta releases, expect in this case disabling the new file format.
    This process does not work for us, starting with 10.12.6 (fully updated) new macOS VM, Parallels 12.2.1, and the latest Beta builds (tried 5 and 6).
    Yes, we are downloading the Developer Seed installer from within the VM (not copied over), and yes High Sierra is downloading on the VM (not copied over).
    Beginning with Beta 5, we no longer see the option to disable the new file format.
    Has the process in the blog been vetted on Beta 5 or 6?
    PS, before you say "Not supported'...we already know that, just asking because the blog exists and does not appear to work.
    Thanks,
    Don

7. Lee4

Lee4 Member

Hi, have tried this and can confirm that I didn't get asked the option to disable the new file format.

8. DonMontalvoCA

DonMontalvoCA Member

9. DonMontalvoCA

DonMontalvoCA Member

Installed High Sierra Beta 6 on a LAB computer, confirmed no checkbox, and confirmed APFS format is forced.

10. BFranks

BFranks Bit poster

13 Beta not able to run a bootcamp VM. any time scale on a fix ?

11. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @BFranks , Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac is not officially supported to work with high sierra. We are working on it . Please subscribe to our newsletter to get notified by our updates.

12. JamesT1

JamesT1 Bit poster

Amazin, every year this happens to me too! I pay for my Parallels evey yeat too like a good customer. But yet Parallels can never seem to be ahead of the game. They always blame Apple. Why not let us developers opt in on a beta parallels that can run it. It make is very frustraing when myslf, a paying customer and developer is stuck waiting for the finger pointing game to end. Why cannot there be a proactive approach to this for the ones who wish?

13. Lee4

Lee4 Member

Downloaded 13... Installing Sierra now

14. Lee4

Lee4 Member

Looks to be working fine so far

15. TrondK

TrondK Bit poster

Hi forum,

I have installed MacOS High Sierra GM on my MacBook Pro late 2016 and Parallels 13.0.1 (42947). When I choose new VM, the option for installing MacOS is not there. Older version of both Parallels (version 13) and MacOS High Sierra beta's were not able to install the VM, but the option were there.

Anyone?

16. TrondK

TrondK Bit poster

Looks like 13.1.0 (43108) build have fixed the issue, but introduced new once ... Now the installer runs for a while and than shows an alert that High Sierra is not possible to install on this computer.

I've also tried installing VMware Fusion, as its new build also states to supporting to install macOS High Sierra from recovery partition. Looks like both VMware and Parallels struggle with the same issues, whereas VMware doesn't find a recovery partition during install ...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  17. R.D1

R.D1 Bit poster

Mac Pro
    10.13.2 macOS High Sierra
    SSD 1TB Apple HD
    I have installed Parallels Desktop
    Version 13.2.0 (43213) three or four times. It wants 2TB of space for Windows 7.
    Seem to keep finding the same suggestions:
    1) Upgrade to latest version √
    2) Reinstall √
    3) Read the KB √
    4) Resize the configuration √ not possible check the files system for errors
    I did upgrade Parallels after upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra.
    Any help would be appreciated. Have a lot of time invested already.
    Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 2.48.31 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 6.21.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 6.21.37 PM.png

18. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

19. R.D1

R.D1 Bit poster

Seems that the Windows 7 VM I have been using for years is lost forever because it won't even boot into the operating system to repair the "file system" as mentioned in the error message...
    Created a new Windows 10 VM.
    Seems to be working fine.
    Boots up, parallels tools is installing now...
    Now the slog of reinstalling all the applications.
    Thanks for the quick reply, but I had already read the KBs and they failed to help me with my problem.

20. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @R.D1 , Thanks for the update, glad to know it is working.
    Thanks