black screen at Windows 10 startup

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JoongL, Aug 24, 2015.

1. JoongL

JoongL Bit poster

I upgraded my Windows 7 pro to Winows 10 pro in Parallels Desktop 10 (20105, the lasted update)
    Whenever I start my Windows 10, it stays in Black screen forever. ( 8 out 10)
    I had to use "Reset" everytime with this problem.

I have read forums , I am sure there are users having same issue.
    I have reinstalled my windows several times and reinstalled Parallels Tools. Also I started up in safe mode and reinstall Parallels Display Adapter several times.
    Still having same problems.

Is there any upcoming updates for this issue or already have solution on this matter?

Please advise.

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi JoongL,
    please create a Problem Report for the virtual machine as described here http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058 and provide us with the Problem Report ID so that we can check and let you know. Thanks! PC

3. Tattyjacket

Tattyjacket Bit poster

Same problem here......Just a black screen. It was working a couple of days ago.

4. wenfeen

wenfeen Member

Using Version 10.2.2 (29105)
    Very similar problem: Windows 10 freezing when initially trying to open. I tried the suggested tips of not unchecking Share Mac user folders with Windows, and it opened up once OK, but the second time I tried to open it, Windows was frozen again.

5. Could you please try adding more Ram and video memory to your VM and check the issue

6. MartinDean

MartinDean Bit poster

My W10 had a black screen at startup. I moved the mouse to where I thought the login field was and typed my PIN - Windows started fine and let me in. It almost seems like it is 'forgetting' to display the log in screen

7. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello MartinDean. Please shut down Windows, open the virtual machine configuration window, navigate to Hardware -> CPU & Memory and allocate 2 processors (or just 1 if the total number of available processors is just 2) and 2 GB of memory for Windows [or just 1 GB if total Mac memory is only 2 GB (or) 3 GB if total Mac memory is 8 GB (or) 4 GB if total Mac memory is > 8 GB]. Then, select 'Graphics' and allocate 1 GB of video memory for Windows. Finally, ensure that 'Vertical Synchronization' is enabled and 'DirectX 10' is selected for '3D Acceleration' under 'Advanced Settings'. Close the window and check if the issue persists.

AriannaB likes this.
  8. MartinDean

MartinDean Bit poster

Thanks - that seems to be working again now :)

9. Hemnath@Parallels

Nice to hear that. Please get back to us for any further queries.

10. DaveC5

DaveC5 Bit poster

Works for me too. Thanks !!

11. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @DaveC5 , we are glad that your issue is resolved. Please reach us anytime for further assistance.

12. DaveC5

DaveC5 Bit poster

Worth noting that in my particular case, adjusting the Graphics allocation up from 512 MB to 1 GB was the critical adjustment. I hope this will be helpful to other users.

13. AdrianM3

AdrianM3 Bit poster

I also have this problem with latest Parallels trial software. I have configures parallels in multiple ways, now I've set 4 processors, 8GB of ram (out of 16) and for graphics I have tested with 1 or 2 GB, same result.

I start the VM, I see boot screen, windows logo, my logon picture, i sign in and then black screen. Before installing parallels tools I had limited display resolution but I could see the desktop, after installing parallels tools and restarting, I can't see the desktop. I see boot screen, user password entry screen and black screen, when sending Shut Down command from Action Menu (even though screen is black) I can see the shut down screen with logoff picture... Only desktop is black...

Tried all the combination of setting, restarted in Safe Mode, removed parallels tools and I can see my desktop, after installing, only my desktop is black... I am on the latest High Sierra 10.13.3

14. Hemnath@Parallels

Thanks for pointing this out.
    Hi AdrianM3. Can you confirm that you've performed the steps quoted below sequentially?

15. AdrianM3

AdrianM3 Bit poster

As I said, after windows user login, screen is black. This only happens after installing parallels tools, if I uninstall it, there is no problem in viewing windows desktop.
    Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 12.02.10.png Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 12.02.27.png
    After starting the machine, arrive at user login, everything is ok until now, enter password for user and screen goes black:
    Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 12.01.10.png
    I then shutdown machine from action menu and right away I have image again: "Windows is shutting down..." this proves that it is not unresponsive, just black screen.

In graphics option I did change from "Adjust for retina, Scaled..." no difference...

EDIT: My machine has 4 processors and 16GB of ram

16. Hemnath@Parallels

Kindly reproduce this scenario, generate a Problem Report ID (refer to http://bit.ly/1lUhbwK for assistance) while the said issue is being displayed (very important) and reply with the report ID number. We'll investigate this further.

17. AdrianM3

AdrianM3 Bit poster

Done, here it is: 243882992

18. KentS2

KentS2 Bit poster

I'm having difficulty like AdrianM3 is. Win 10 in Parallels 13 under MacOS high Sierra (MBP15 2012, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, i7), starts blue screen login, then goes black. Just started happening without warning. Error reported, 245173807.

It seems to me that this difficulty started after I updated my MacOS with their latest security patch. That's just an impression, but if it's a clue to solving the problem, I'd love to know.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  19. AdrianM4

AdrianM4 Bit poster

I have 4 more days left from the trial so I will be unable to test this further, nothing from settings does any difference whatsoever...

20. AriannaB

AriannaB Bit poster

it worked for me! thanks!