VPN Connection speed only 10Mbps

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Brett_Conlon, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Brett_Conlon

Brett_Conlon Member

Hi,

Is there a network setting in Parallels v12 that I need to tweak to improve my Cisco AnyConnect VPN connection? I can only achieve a 10Mbps connection (as seen in the Task Manager Network tab and in the Windows 7 Network Connection properties) which makes file copying and teleconferences quite sluggish when I'm working via Cable internet from home (Speedtest.net shows 114Mbps download and 2Mbps upload). I currently have the Parallels Network setting on "Shared"

Without going through the VPN my wireless and ethernet connections show the full 1 Gbps so it only seems to be the VPN. I even tried a VPN connection (both wireless and ethernet) when in the office and the VPN connection was still only 10Mbps, ruling out that the problem may have been with my home internet.

I'm currently in discussion with our I.S. people and they have confirmed their "non-virtual" setup achieved 99.5Mbps for wired and 71.8Mbps for wireless. They are pointing the finger at Parallels.

Your help is most appreciated!

Regards,

Brett

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @Brett_Conlon , please try to change the Network mode from Shared to Bridge "Default Adaptor" and check if that helps.

3. Brett_Conlon

Brett_Conlon Member

Thanks Arun. Sadly it hasn't made a difference. I'm still showing either 9Mbps or 10Mbps when connecting.

Any other suggestions?

4. Brett_Conlon

Brett_Conlon Member

My final solution to my problem (after much too-ing & fro-ing with I.T.) was to install the Cisco AnyConnect Mac client and make the VPN connection happen on the Mac side.
    From my tests (downloading a 380MB file from a network server) I was getting 4.6MB/s when connected via the Windows VPN client, compared with 8.4MB/s when connected via the Mac client.
    Sadly, uploads were about the same (270K/s) but that's because my service provider has my uploads choked at about 2.3mbps.

The only issue I have is that if Windows is already running and I make the VPN connection on the Mac side I typically have to quit out of Parallels then open it again (luckily it's pretty quick on my newer laptop) for the Windows side to recognise the connection. I'm sure there's probably an easier way to do it...