PD12 Messes Up Multiple Monitors

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MobyR, Aug 20, 2016.

1. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

A question?.
    I have a Mac (27" Retina 5K, 32GB, I7 4GHz), which was a recent upgrade from my older early 2011 2.93GHz i7. On both I've always used multiple monitors, and have not had many problems (there was a problem a while ago, with 'breakup', and random display faults on the second monitor - fixed by loading a replacement 'displaylink' driver <http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/osx>). I've not seen any significant problems with the second display (though if you follow another thread here, I've now had to go back to Parallels 11, because of another issue).
    However wonder if in part this is because I never use 'full screen' mode?.

Because I like to be able to reduce the size of my 'Windows' environment, only expanding it to fill the screen when needed, I've always kept the Windows 'windowed' (modality mode). Just stretching this to fill the monitor when required. Now, operating like this, the difference in the native display handling of Sierra, doesn't seem to enter the equation. Like this Parallels behaves basically the same both in El Capitan, and Sierra. I stick the Apple controls onto the screen that isn't containing Windows.

So, what is the disadvantage in using Windowed mode?. Obviously the desktop menu disappears in 'full screen'. If this is all that is being needed, then why doesn't Parallels just make the 'full screen' button use Modality mode, with the Window automatically sized to fill the screen on which this is selected, and the desktop menu turned off?. This would seem to give a mode to solve the current issues, while perhaps they work to find a better solution.
    In fact, 'generically', it'd be much nicer to have the Parallels Desktop menu, selectable as 'off', 'on', 'pop up' & 'pop up key'. The last would use a hotkey combination to display the desktop menu, which would also solve the problem in full screen mode, where this loves to pup 'down' when you are trying to access a menu near the top of the Windows screen.

Would this work?

2. MarcusR1

MarcusR1 Bit poster

I agree with Matt... I've been using Parallels Desktop since Fall of 2006... I am a Chemical (and Automation) Engineer who uses several PC-specific software packages in the course of my work... The current issue with multiple monitors not functioning as before makes it impractical for me to upgrade to PD-12...

I may wind up moving to VMWare Fusion... I tested it long ago in a comparison between VM software and the two packages were not that far apart... I'll use PD-11 until they either fix the problem or stop supporting PD-11 (at which point I'll switch to VMWare).

3. DonP

DonP Bit poster

I didn't read the full release notes, I just saw "multi-mon is fixed yo'" in the version check dialog and immediately upgraded with glee.

Alas... This 'fix' requires the same settings change that so many people have been complaining about in the first place.
    "Displays have separate spaces" is fundamentally part of the problem. 'Separate Spaces' is one of the most wonky UI features that Apple has thrown at users in a long time, using it is just ridiculous.

I'll check out the TotalSpaces2 app workaround. Sad that we have to resort to wonky settings changes and buying additional software to get functionality back.

Definitely debating whether I'd buy a PD13 release. Luckily my Mac Pro is fast enough that any perf improvements that PD12 brought aren't really important, so I have the luxury of using old functional PD11.

4. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

My understanding of this:

Historically, 'full screen' on PD, did not use the Mac's 'full screen' mode.Instead it generated a window that was 'screen sized', and got rid of the PD menu. Plus of this was that the second screen still functioned as normal, stuff can paste and move between the windows fine, and you got a 'Windows' screen filling the monitor. Downside was that it lacked some performance relative to the native full-screen mode.
    With PD12, Parallels switched to using the native mode. On a single screen machine, the 'Windows' screen then fully uses the 'native' screen, with better performance. However on a multiple monitor system, Apple's 'full screen' native mode, disables the other screen, unless this is setup to use it's own memory space. So 'as standard', this gives a blank second screen. The 'fix' was the 'use separate spaces' setting inside the Apple. The latest 'tweak', makes this automatic (so separate spaces are automatically used). Unfortunately this is not a terribly good 'fix' (understatement mode...).
    Now, I believe that for many users, the 'old' way of working (screen sized window), was perfectly adequate. It was the convenience of a 'Windows' that filled the screen that mattered, not the ultimate performance. So what is really needed is an option in the setup, to say that the full screen selection can either select a 'screen sized window', or 'native full screen'. People who want the ultimate performance, can select this latter, with then the downsides this brings, while most users after convenience, can go back to a system that allows them in one keystroke to have a 'screen sized window' selected for them.

5. MarcusR1

MarcusR1 Bit poster

Thank-you for the explanation... that makes a tremendous amount of sense. (Do you have any idea whether they've arrived at a solution?)
    • If they haven't already, Parallels should stop blaming this problem on Apple... Parallels made the unfortunate decision to change the way they handle monitors.
    • If they feel that they must cater gamers at the expense of business users, I agree that they should code-in an option to switch between "screen-sized" and "native".
    • PD-11, which I continue to use, displays AutoCAD and NavisWorks 3-D models more than adequately on my MB Pro. Against other, PC laptops, it's graphics performance appears to be superior when navigating and manipulating the models...
      • ... and this is in OS 10.12.3 (Sierra)...
      • ... of course, implying that a solution in PD-12 is possible.
    i'll stay with PD-11 until they fix it... VMWare could still be in my future.

6. bvanderwkc

bvanderwkc Bit poster

7. gmelin

gmelin Junior Member

I have the same issue. I have used Parallels since it supported multiple monitors. I am now trying to use OS Sierra with VM win8.1 and parallels 12. I have 3 monitors (iMac plus 2). My issue is that I cannot get the three monitors all in sync (attached in one Space). Each one has a separate space. I had no issue with Parallels 11 and this just occurred after upgrade. I have tried every Mission Control setting but nothing works. I did the download of the new version of PD12.1.3 (41532) and tried "Display have separate Spaces" but that is ridiculous. I use several VMs at the same time and it creates so many separate Spaces that it is unusable! PLEASE FIX THIS EGREGIOUS BIG!

8. DanW6

DanW6 Bit poster

Folks, Parallels invited me to request a refund... due to other issues and to give them a bit of time to fix the issue, I postponed the request thinking Parallels would contact Apple and figure out a solution to reimplement the custom window functionality... after all 60 days should be enough time right? BIG Mistake... It's clearly not a pressing issue for Parallels, and their "solution" of multiple spaces is a joke. So when I went to request a refund, they claim they can only do it within the first 30 days... SHEEZE.. what pathetic customer support. They've just lost a customer for good... one from way way back to Parallels 5. If you're in the same boat, request that refund now and don't shed a tear for Parallels.

9. MattJ2

MattJ2 Member

I downgraded to PD11 and it was working fine for a long time. I got a prompt to update (not to 12 but a newer version of 11) so I figured it would maybe resolve a couple small issues I was having with cursor delay... Anyways, I updated, and now I don't have dual monitor support at all.

This is so ridiculous. What other options aside from Parallels do we have? VMWare? I need a solution.

10. CraigS4

CraigS4 Junior Member

I just bit the bullet and sacrificed two cores and 4 gigs of memory to upgrade to 12.2.0, because in their upgrade notes it mentioned that it will finally work with multiple monitors.
    GUESS WHAT IT DOESN'T DO!?
    I mean, multiple monitors ISN'T really an esoteric edge case, is it? What's it going to take? This paid downgrade was the last bit of cash that Parallel$ is going to make from me, and I'm actively dissuading Mac users looking for a PC emulation solution from buying Parallels.

11. KC_

KC_ Bit poster

iMac 2012 + two 27" apple screen, running sierra, pd12, win10. Can't stretch window desktop to fill 2 ext screens, the resolution remain as 1 single screen size, therefore stretching out will cause the window to remain in the same proportion with super large icons.
    Used to stretch the window desktop across and fill 2 ext screens when I was using Yosemite, PD10 and win7, works great. Just running bloomberg terminals and excel. This is really frustrating, after downgrade back to PD11, same problem, stretch window desktop across won't work.
    Is parallel development team working on any fixes yet?

12. MarcusR1

MarcusR1 Bit poster

Matt: When I saw this "Update" to PD-11 you refer to, I was curiously suspicious that I might lose the dual-monitor support, so I DIDN'T run the "Update"... I am really disappointed to have my suspicions confirmed (unfortunately at your expense)... it sounds like the update process functioned more like obtaining a virus.

In the very near future, I will test VMWare again... From what I've read, dual-monitor, full-screen functionality works on that platform... When I do, I'll report back.

It makes me sick to see Parallels f-this up so badly... and what a time-suck... (p.s., I've been using Parallels since 2007 and WAS happy with it)

13. CharlesC5

CharlesC5 Bit poster

I too am having an issue with the "latest and greatest" PD12. When suspending the VM with multiple displays (hdmi port and apple thunderbolt>VGA adapter) while attached, my suspended Windows 7 splash screen is stuck as my mac desktop. Frozen over. If I click on the parallels desktop app, while instead it should bring control center into focus because I never close it but it somehow has been closed) it takes me to the other desktop where there is another, (but correct location of where I normally use it) Windows 7 splash screen. Swiping back to the mac, the desktop is still windoze, only way to make it stop is to kill parallels. Also when plugging in a new monitor while Windows is running, it takes an awful lot longer to scale the image for the new display than in PD10. Please advise.

14. TomW6

TomW6 Junior Member

I'm so annoyed at Apple and Parallels. I wish there was a 3rd options besides Windows and Mac as this pair (Apple and Parallels, especially Apple) have proved themselves to be quite incompetent as of late. I've tried linux distro's and they're just too inconsistent and I spend more time getting things working than actually doing any work.

15. gmelin

gmelin Junior Member

I am frustrated as well that Parallels PD12 has not "fixed" this bug! However, at least PD11 still works well with Sierra. I tried VM Fusion (that I used a long time ago) and got it to work right with multiple monitors but I really would rather use Parallels. I am going to see if they FIX THIS in the next version probably PD13 with the release of High Sierra in the next few months. If not then I will make the switch to VM Fusion. Hope someone from Parallels is listening!!!!!

16. TomW6

TomW6 Junior Member

I tried VMware, but it reminded me why I last switched from VMware to Parallels. VMware Fusion just gets really bogged down and sluggish. I've only just now remembered VirtualBox and am giving that a go. It's a lot more barebones, missing luxuries like key remapping, but all of those can be worked around. So far it's working flawlessly across my three 24" monitors with "Displays have seperate spaces" UNTICKED.

17. TimM9

TimM9 Bit poster

Just chiming in to confirm the same annoyances and grievances. I waited a while to upgrade to PD12 not knowing about these specific issues but knowing that software benefits when it's had time to "bake"...clearly I didn't wait long enough. I'm regretting the upgrade.

18. SreechandraD

SreechandraD Member

Just tried PD13. No change in behavior. Very annoyed.

I could make do with their work around "Activating virtual machine shows all its spaces" if they could get the monitor to take focus soon as I hover into it. As of right now, I get a black OSX mouse cursor which requires a click in the monitor space to make it active for Windows. I do a lot over hover and scroll maneuvers (without clicking) which this destroys.

I'll keep using PD11 until it no longer works and then it is time for VM Fusion or VirtualBox.

19. CraigS4

CraigS4 Junior Member

I can't BELIEVE that after all the uproar about this, all thru the PD12 life cycle, this wouldn't be fixed in PD13! I know the moderators read these threads, because one commented on this very one way back in page one of the comments. (Note that was back in August 2016! It's a year, it's been a year.) Reading through the thread,

Parallels says it's because "Up to 11th version, we have used our custom Full Screen mode in Parallels Desktop for Mac, which basically did not use system's native Full Screen, but instead, we were just showing a borderless window resized to full display size. It had its benefits, but in Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac we dropped support for non-native macOS Full Screen mode, as it caused a lot more issues while playing games, working in CAD software and in similar use cases. "​

Well, guess what. I don't play games, or use CAD software. Why can't this "borderless window" mode be a setting? I want PD to have the PC as its own space, with all the monitors active. That's it. Just like it used to work.

20. MattJ2

MattJ2 Member

I'm super annoyed that it's been this long and they haven't had a resolution for this. They clearly CAN do it since earlier versions work fine. Meanwhile I'm using old software so I can get the functionality I NEED. C'mon and fix this!