Cannot convert virtual machine image

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by hyperact, Sep 17, 2007.

1. hyperact

hyperact Junior Member

I just updated from 2.5 to 3.0. When trying to open a virtual XP machine I am getting the error that Parallels cannot convert my hard drive image. I am completely stuck. I have a second XP image as well and it won't convert that one either. I have searched the forums and only found a message that this is a known problem that isn't fixed yet, but the message was very old. Has this been repaired yet? I paid for this upgrade and I can't run it, and on top of that, I can no longer run it in Parallels 2.5 either.

I do have a backup of the files but I would like to run the version I just purchased. What's going on, and how do I get around it?

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Are you trying to convert the 2.5 image to a 3.0 image? Were you running a beta at any point in time beforehand? What kind of computer are you using and what is the hardware set-up? What version of OS 10.4 are you running? And what build of Parallels 3 are you using?

3. hyperact

hyperact Junior Member

I converted from 2.5 to 3.0 (boxed) and immediately after installing 3.0 I upgraded to build 5160. After that I tried opening my XP installation and received the error.

However, I had an unusual setup and I have managed to fix the problem and am now running 3.0. The way I fixed it was to revert back to 2.5 and make a clone of my virtual machine. Then I reinstalled build 5160 and it was able to convert the clone. I don't know what the difference was but it seemed to work.

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Bottom line is, it works now, right?

5. hyperact

hyperact Junior Member

Right. Too bad it had to be so hard.

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Yes, that is the pity. But I'm glad it works.