Parallels toolbox no longer works after "upgrade"

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox for Mac' started by AlanB9, Aug 23, 2017.

1. AlanB9

AlanB9 Bit poster

I clicked on the tools icon today and was greeted with a message that I could no longer use parallels tools because it had been upgraded.

I was asked to either pay for an upgrade or to downgrade.

I chose to downgrade and the link does not work, nor can I find out how to do so.

May I suggest that an "upgrade" which cannot be used is a confidence trick worthy of street criminals.

May I also suggest that upgrades which disabled a legally purchased item is verging on criminality if not outrightly criminal.

If you as a company wish to be considered as worthy and honest then you shoul discontinue such dishonest and thoroughly disreputtable practices.

2. NickM3

NickM3 Bit poster

Exactly the same on my computer.
    I also completely agree with your comments about the management policy and business practices.
    The upgrade happened automatically - so no chance to stop it.
    This amounts to BLACKMAIL.
    They'll be wanting payment in untraceable Bitcoins next!
    No sign of a fix - probably waiting to see how many people are suckered into paying the annual subscription first.

3. AlanB9

AlanB9 Bit poster

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I had read that their policy is pretty bad but was daft enough to hand over my hard earned cash to them, I suppose it's time to look for another platform because they are sure to go out of business at some point if they carry on this way. I certainly won't upgrade nor purchase anything else from them, it's far too risky.

4. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

5. RonaldN1

RonaldN1 Bit poster

Dmitry, I have the same problem with my upgrade from Parallels Desktop 12.2.0 to 12.2.1. Once I completed the upgrade, I found myself with a no longer functioning Parallels Toolbox...the upgrade (apparently) forced an install of a newer version of Parallels Toolbox; and that newer version is v2.0.2. My previous Parallels Toolbox was version 1.5.2, which worked fine. Is there some way I can get back to my earlier version, such that it will continue working as previously?

6. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Ronald, hello,

could you explain what is the problem with v2.0.2? Do you have problem with one of the tools or you're unable to launch Parallels Toolbox?

Dmitry@Parallels likes this.
  7. RonaldN1

RonaldN1 Bit poster

It may be there is no problem with v2.0.2, but once I completed the Parallels Desktop (PDT) upgrade from v12.2.0 to 12.2.1 Parallels Toolbox no longer worked...it gave me an option to "buy" it; v1.5.2 worked fine with PDT v12.2.0.

8. Sergeyt

Sergeyt Parallels Developers

Can you please send us a technical report from Toolbox via cogwheel > Help > Send Technical Data...
    Please post the report ID here.

9. RonaldN1

RonaldN1 Bit poster

Dmitry,

Resolved my problem. After having installed the PDT upgrade to version 12.2.1, and then opening Parallels Toolbox, I missed the "I have a key" button; entered my PDT v12 key and the functioning Parallels Toolbox became active. Thanks for your support.

10. Kevin24

Kevin24 Bit poster

Hi,
    I have a similar problem - my toolbox was upgraded and now I cannot downgrade it. Every time I click on the downgrade link I see an 'failed to open page' due to unable to create a secure connection to 'download.prls.com'.
    I want to get back to the last version that was licensed under Parallels 12 - how do I do this?

11. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Download Parallels Toolbox 2.0.2 and activate with Parallels Desktop 12 key.

12. Kevin24

Kevin24 Bit poster

Thank you - now resolved :)

13. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We are glad to hear that. If you have any more questions, feel free to reach out to us for support.