How do I get back to 13.0.0 when 13.0.1 freezes

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ChrisE2, Sep 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ChrisE2

ChrisE2 Bit poster

I want to recover 13.0.0 from TimeMachine because it worked without freezing. Once I recover the app file, opening it notifies me that there is a new version. If I elect to keep the existing version it ignores this request and goes ahead with downloading and installing 13.0.1 which then freezes. I am getting desperate.

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

3. ChrisE2

ChrisE2 Bit poster

I have sent a problem report as requested.

4. DerekB3

DerekB3 Bit poster

I believe that there is a problem with the 13.0.1 update.
    After installation of the update, Windows would not start (I waited 30 minutes) and restarting the Mac made no difference.
    I reverted to 13.0.0 twice and then applied the update with the same result - could not start Windows.
    I am now back on 13.0.0 and hope that the problem gets sorted out in a later update.
    In case it helps, I did not recover it from Time Machine. Instead I reinstalled it by running the Version 13.0.0 download file. I then cancelled the "Later Version" prompt. However, it appears that it has installed version 13.0.1 (???) but now appears to be working OK.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  5. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

@DerekB3, can you please describe in more details what was happening with Windows while it would not start? Just a black screen, or Windows logo with spinning dots? Am I right that Windows is running fine now?

6. DerekB3

DerekB3 Bit poster

Yes, it is running fine now and I have performed a couple of "shutdown & power on" actions since the last update to my post.
    There were two problems. Sometimes the process seemed to get stuck when "initialising" (the progress bar indicated that it had finished or was close to finishing). It was necessary to force a shutdown by holding down the power key.
    Once I got past that problem, I had a Windows black screen with the "start" button and when clicking that it just showed the Windows logo with the spinning dots - the second time, I left it for 30 minutes but it went no further.
    The "solution" appears to have been to re-install 13.0.0 not accepting the update to 13.0.1 (although it seems to have done it anyway), force a shutdown when stuck "initialising", then power off completely at the mains (note that I use a LandingZone docking station) and then, after waiting a few minutes, power ON again.
    Everything is fine now and I am running Version 13.0.1 (42947). I had been running Parallels Desktop 12 before but did not unistall it before installing Version 13.

7. ChrisE2

ChrisE2 Bit poster

I now have 13.0.0 installed but still can't get Windows XP running. I get to the normal desktop with all icons but no further. Everything is frozen and it won't close. I have to go to Activity Monitor and perform a Force Close.

8. serv

serv Forum Maven

Chris,
    If your VM appears to be hung try resetting it via menu Actions > Reset.
    Or are you saying the UI hangs and the menu doesn't work?

9. ChrisE2

ChrisE2 Bit poster

Serv,
    Thanks! All fixed. I couldn't find anything in your help about 'reset' so have never tried it.