Parallels Desktop 13 Pro with Windows 10 - Graphics Configuration Pane

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by NeilL2, Sep 7, 2017.

1. NeilL2

NeilL2 Junior Member

Hi

I'm trying to get to grips with an issue I'm having with a particular font in my CAD program which reverts to a basic ugly font when zooming in. The same program on a Windows 10 PC does not behave in the same way; the font remains correct regardless of magnification. So I presume the issue is something to do with Parallels (Desktop Pro 13) and/or the host computer being a MacMini late 2012 16GB RAM with two displays - an Apple (2560x1024) and a Dell (1920x1080).

Wondered if there might be something in PD13 Graphics settings I could change but when I choose Actions > Configure > Hardware, then click Graphics I don't see the same options displayed in 'Help'. All I see is a Memory drop-down list and an 'advanced settings' button that reveals a 3D acceleration: drop-down list and a vertical synchronisation checkbox. In 'Help' it shows and describes Resolution - best for Retina display / scaled / external displays etc.

Might there be something wrong with my setup or has PD13 developed since the last revision of 'Help'?

This may of course all be irrelevant to the font problem - but one thing at a time I suppose!

Thanks

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi NeilL2,
    Graphics currently is how you describe having Memory drop-down list, and under advanced settings 3D acceleration dropdown list and a check box for synchronization.
    Please make sure that you have updated your Parallels tools I would reinstall them. (just to make sure this is not the issue)
    Also are you using the recommended settings in the drop down menu?
    Under Advanced have you checked vertical synchronization, also have you selected DirectX 10?
    I hope this information helps you.

3. NeilL2

NeilL2 Junior Member

Hi Kat, many thanks for replying.

Good to hear the graphics pane is as it should be (the image in the help documentation had thrown me).
    I have installed and updated Parallels tools in the last few days but I will try again, as you say just to make sure.
    Yes, I have the (recommended) settings in the memory drop-down list. I had upped the Processors (not really knowing what I was doing but it seemed attractive at the time!) and memory in in the green recommended band - I'll roll these back to defaults to test.
    Vertical synchronisation is checked.
    DirectX 10 was selected but I have had some preliminary advice from Support to try DirectX 9 - which does not appear to have changed anything.

I'm leaning towards this being just a font problem and have put some feelers out regarding changing our font to a .ttf version. I will give all this a go and revert.

Thanks again!

4. serv

serv Forum Maven

Neil,
    After reading your other posts I'm inclined to think that your font didn't install correctly. Have you just copied it to \Windows\Fonts ?
    The proper way to do it is to point to font file in Windows Explorer, right-click on it and select Install.

5. kat

kat Product Expert

Your welcome.

6. NeilL2

NeilL2 Junior Member

Hi Serv, thanks for this.

I've taken a look in Windows\Fonts\ and right clicked on the font file but do not see an option to install. Does this mean I've already installed it? Cannot remember to be honest.

When looking at the file properties I do so a '_0' after the font filename though. It seems as though I have more than one copy of the file in the font folder (but only one showing?)

I'm thinking maybe delete (them all if I can find them) and start again...?

7. serv

serv Forum Maven

Do not delete font files directly! Open Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Fonts and delete all copies of the font (if there are multiple) from there.

8. NeilL2

NeilL2 Junior Member

Hi Serv, thanks. I've deleted the font as per your directions, downloaded a fresh copy onto the desktop and right-clicked on it and clicked 'Install'. This has put the font back into the Windows\Fonts folder. Does this mean it has installed correctly?

Using the font in Word does work fine, in that it scales-up to any size. Using it in the Cad program however still does not work, when it appears correctly on-screen the character spacings are off and when zoomed-in a substituted font appears instead. Interestingly the substituted font does not appear to have the same character spacing problems, it's as though the Cad program is trying to show the correct font by overlaying it onto the substituted font at standard resolutions but cannot keep this up when scaling/zooming-in - ?

This suggests to me that there does appear to be an issue with the installation of the font in the VM. The same font works fine in a Win10 setup on a PC.

I 'm wondering if I've messed up the font installation somehow and this has not fully been resolved by deleting and re-installing - looking at my PC setup, when right clicking on the font file and selecting 'properties' we have the font name appearing as listed:
    PC Font Properties.jpg

but doing the same on the VM the font is labelled with '_0' in addition to the listed filename:
    VM Font Properties.png

not sure why this would happen - might there be a way to install the font without it getting labelled with a '_0' to see if that is what's confusing the Cad programme?

9. serv

serv Forum Maven

Neil,
    I guess you've installed the font properly now and the _0 appended to its name doesn't necessarily indicate a problem.
    Another observation is that the font file is not exactly the same on a PC: Size on disk is 24,576 vs 28,672. This may or may not mean the font data is different. I'd try to reinstall the font from PC to VM again.
    Also, is the CAD version the same on PC and in VM?
    Finally, you might want to disable 3D acceleration in VM to see if it makes a difference.

NeilL2 likes this.
  10. NeilL2

NeilL2 Junior Member

Serv - BINGO you're a star!
    Checking the CAD versions I did find that the VM version was not the same (I'd obviously just installed it without checking for updates) installing the latest update and patch to bring it exactly into line with the PC version has done the trick and font is scaling like a dream...
    Sorry to have taken your time helping with such a basic error but thankful that you did!
    Many thanks, Neil