How to access local site on Mac for testing in IE/Edge?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DavidN9, Sep 11, 2017.

1. DavidN9

DavidN9 Bit poster

I have searched and searched for an answer to this question and found nothing that works. I am running parallels 13 with a windows 10 installation in shared network mode and tried editing host file, entering the IP address of my mac directly, and nothing works. Disabled firewalls entirely on both machines.

At this point I'm ready to abandon Parallels for VirtualBox, which works out of the box with the default "NAT" setting. All I have to do is ipconfig, obtain the IP address of the default gateway, and add it to my hosts file - boom - it works perfectly. Parallels however I have spent hours and hours trying to resolve, with no success. I am able to ping my host machine (MacOS sierra at 10.211.55.2) but adding that IP to my hosts with my "local-site.dev " or "localhost" URL, it can't find the site.

2. DavidN9

DavidN9 Bit poster

This seems like an extremely common use case, and during the Parallels setup it even offers the option to download the free IE testing VM from microsoft, but there is no documentation or support provided for configuring parallels for testing your mac hosted site. seems crazy to me that there is no FAQ or guide provided for this, especially for the price parallels charges for its software.

3. PhilipTobias

PhilipTobias Bit poster

Using MAMP Pro, I can use the Edge browser in my Parallels 13 virtual machine to browse to sites being developed locally on my Mac. In my setup, I use the URL that shows in the Name resolution area of the MAMP Pro - Hosts window.

Hope that helps. ...pt

4. GregR3

GregR3 Bit poster

I wanted to chime in in case anyone else that finds this thread, and is using Local by Flywheel.

You will need to add this IP address: 192.168.95.100 to your (Windows) hosts file, for each of the sites you're working on.

For example:

192.168.95.100 foo.dev
    192.168.95.100 foobar.dev
    192.168.95.100 foobaz.local

I hope this helps!

5. KamS

KamS Bit poster

If you've set up a dev environment with localhost, that's one thing, but I often need to test out IE rendering for simple HTML/CSS, and this wasn't as easy as I expected. It turns out that Parallels uses its own path prefix to files. Where OSX uses a triple forward slash with the root path, "Users/<Your-user-name>/" - which of course varies across each machine. Parallels instead uses a double forward slash and it's own path prefix, "mac/Home/"

Mac: file:///Users/<Your-mac-user-name>/Sites/index.html
    Parallels: file://mac/Home/Sites/index.html

This works whether you're using Sites, or just opening an html file somewhere on your drive.
    /Sites/index.html or /Documents/proto/index.html
    Just use the prefix file://mac/Home/
    Opening the HTML file from File Explorer into a browser is the easiest get it's browser path, as File Explorer uses "thisPC/" as its root prefix.