For what systems is parallels good?

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Horris, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Horris

Horris Bit poster

Would it make any sense to purchase parallels to use it on an iMac G5 2 GHz (OS 10.4) which is the last Non-Intel one?

Horris

2. zoom

zoom Bit poster

I think it's better wait until any official announcements form Parallels prior to actual purchase. Actually it's not that clear if they're going to support G5 hardware.

3. Ben @ Parallels

Ben @ Parallels Member

Hi guys -

As you probably already know, Parallels Workstation works on both Windows (2000, 2003, XP) or Linux as a primary OS. We're always working to expand our primary and guest OS support, so stay tuned for updates. As of now, we do not have a version of our software that is PowerPC (ie, G3, G4, G5) compatible

If you'd like to be notified of any cool new features (like new OS support!), the best thing to do would be to sign up for the Parallels Newsletter. Just input your email address at www.parallels.com and you'll get our breaking news delivered right to your inbox!

4. LilBambi

LilBambi Junior Member

Will Parallels port this to the PPC versions of OS X?

There are many who really need a good PPC virtualization software package. Please don't continue to leave PPC users out in the cold. There are still so many PPC computers out there.

Thanks for your consideration.

5. WimDS

WimDS Hunter

Hi there, Parallels does virtulisation, not emulation...

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well, what do you want it for? Windows can't be virtualized on PPC without emulation.

7. LilBambi

LilBambi Junior Member

Microsoft was making "Virtual PC"

Apparently "Virtual PC" which did a great job of virtualizing/emulating Windows is still available and is free, but there is only an update there now.

Guess I will have to look elsewhere. Maybe Q will be the answer instead of Parallels.

Thanks for your quick responses.

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Yes, Virtual PC did a pretty good job at emulating Windows. You should still be able to find it somewhere though. I have a copy, but am using it for a legacy machine.

9. LilBambi

LilBambi Junior Member

Thanks Eru for your response. I will see what I can do about getting a copy if still available.

10. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

11. LilBambi

LilBambi Junior Member

Thanks for the link ... it is sad to have to pay for something that supposedly is free -- if there was a download link that actually worked for it. :(

12. HonzaI

HonzaI Member

13. LilBambi

LilBambi Junior Member

If that is now so for VirtualPC 2007, it is a change in their plans since July 2006.

Many places talked about Microsoft's move to at first supply VirtualPC 2004 as a free download, and it was also discussed that at that time, Microsoft had said they planned on releasing VirtualPC 2007 as a free download as well.

It would not be the first time that other companies sell something that is free. I think we all have seen that at one time or another, whether it is manuals, software, antimalware tools, etc.

It could also be that Microsoft quietly changed their mind as well, I suppose.

Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 for Windows now free; What about the Mac? O'Reilly, July 2006:
    And at arstechnica also in July 2006:
    NOTE: the only free download there now is an upgrade only to VirtualPC 2007.

Later in the ars article:
    Bold emphasis mine.

However, it is of little consequence. I have gotten the latest version of Q to work on the PPC Mac quite well.

Thanks for your time.

14. HonzaI

HonzaI Member

Virtual PC for Windows is really free.

Virtual PC for Mac (PPC) is apparently not.

J.

15. LilBambi

LilBambi Junior Member

My mistake LOL! I thought Virtual PC being free meant it was free for everyone.

Figures.

16. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Hi,

Parallels works on Intel or AMD processors only. It uses vitrualization technology to achieve the best performance. PowerPC processors are not supported.

If you would like to use Windows on Macs with PowerPC processors (G3, G4 o G5) you can try to use another emulation software such as

Virtual PC - http://www.microsoft.com/mac
    or
    Guest PC - http://www.lismoresystems.com

Best regards,
    Alexander