Is 5160 safe for Intel Mini

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by al3, Sep 17, 2007.

1. al3

al3 Member

The last time I upgraded I got caught with an undocumented bug such that they had to make a 'secret' upgrade for some Mini users. I vowed I would not upgrade until checking here.

So anyone with an Intel Mini AND 10.4.10 having any issues?

Thanks,
    Al

2. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I have it installed on mine but I don't use my mini much for Parallels so I have not done much testing. Just a little but no problems so far.

M

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

The release notes that come with 5160 don't mention a specific problem with the Mac Mini and I've not seen anyone reporting any problems here or around the internet.

4. sndrox

sndrox Bit poster

Hi all,
    I've been using Parallels from its very beginning with my two mini intel with no problems. Never had a problems with subsequent releases and never heard of "secret" upgrade whatsoever.

Sandro

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

It's probably just a build that has patch in it that fixes the people's problems.

6. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

In my opinion, build 5160 is not safe for Mac-mini and if they continue on with current code base, Mini's will be left by the way side.

I have been using since start and would regularly run on betas back in the day of public betas. So when 5160 came out I just upgraded, never had a problem b4. This build was a totally different story.

Note: there was not change in software installed on both Mac and win XP between build 4560 and 5160.

I experienced total lockups, where had to push and hold mini power button. I had the VM and parallels just quit so many times in 2 days I couldn't count. This was just random, there was no way to pin down and it shot my productivity as a programmer down to where i had to revert to 4560.

I really hate to say anything bad, because i think this is a great product. but i would be remiss not to mention this and warn others

I hope that parallels hears my plea and adjusts current direction to not leave Minis by the way side.

7. al3

al3 Member

On the previous build, there was some weird bug that caused a total freeze of the Mini. There is a long, long thread about it here somewhere... sometime in July as I remember. Anyway, they came out with a special build 4562 July 25 2007 (which is what my About screen says.) This build works so I'm not ready to run out and try the new one.

I too am saddened with how the company has progressed as of recent. I thought they would get 'better' with a new player coming into their market, but I don't see it. Bottom line I think they are a tiny company that is just overwhelmed by their success coupled with a very complex product and not having a large enough staff to deal with it all.

I can deal with that in an open source environment. But when I pay real money, I need service, not silence... which is what we got last time.

I don't know if VMWare is any better. Right now Parallels works and I don't have need for many whistles and bells. If it was slam-dunk easy for VMWare to use the Parallels VM I'd try it, but I hear their converter is a hit or miss thing.

When OS X 10.5 comes out it will have (production) Bootcamp so maybe that will work well. Re-booting is not that big a deal.

Al