Parallels 13.0.1 Prevents Mac from Sleeping

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JamesG17, Sep 20, 2017.

1. JamesG17

JamesG17 Bit poster

Ever since I upgraded from 12 to 13 my MacBook screen saver won't engage after the preset time interval when Parallels Desktop is running. When I look at the Energy tab on the Mac Activity Monitor it says Parallels Desktop is preventing sleeping. I haven't discovered a way to keep that from happening. I seem to recall there was a setting on the 12 VM configuration options page to allow that, but it seems to have disappeared in 13. How do I change it so Parallels Desktop will allow the Mac to sleep?

EiichiY likes this.
  2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @JamesG17 , what is the operating system of your virtual machine created using Parallels Desktop for Mac?

3. JamesG17

JamesG17 Bit poster

The operating system is Sierra 10.12.6.

4. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Can you please share a screenshot of this scenario?

5. JamesG17

JamesG17 Bit poster

Here you go. Second row from the top clearly shows Parallels Desktop is the culprit. Please fix this bug! Or at least give us a way to override it. Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 6.15.10 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 6.15.10 PM.png

6. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @JamesG17 , did you try changing the power and sleep settings on your virtual machine?

7. JamesG17

JamesG17 Bit poster

Yes, I tried changing the power and sleep settings in the W10 VM. It had absolutely no effect because Parallels Desktop was preventing the Mac from sleeping as shown in previous responses. Apparently I'm not the only one having this problem. I discovered
    "After upgrading to Parallels 13, my iMac display won 't sleep!" posted by user Ahwman in the Installation and Configuration forum. Low and behold, when I unchecked 'Allow apps to auto-switch to full screen' in VM config - Options - Applications as suggested by Parallels developer StanislavZ, Parallels Desktop showed up in the Mac Activity Monitor as not preventing sleep after restarting the desktop and things are back to working as they should! What an obvious connection between the option label and the effect! I don't know how I could have missed that. Please fix this problem so others don't have to live with this annoying "feature" (AKA bug).

KyoheiT and ShermanH1 like this.
  8. PatrickK6

PatrickK6 Bit poster

Thanks for posting this. I have been having the same problem. Looking forward to a solution.

ShermanH1 likes this.
  9. EiichiY

EiichiY Bit poster

I don't know why but Reinstalling Parallels Tools (NOT Parallels Toolbox for Windows) from the Actions menu will fix the problem, if you are lucky.
    # Sometimes it works, sometimes doesn't.
    ReinstallPT.png

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @EiichiY, that's great! You may also try this setting: System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> Advanced --> uncheck "Log out after 15 minutes of inactivity" and keep us posted the results.

11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @PatrickK6, start your virtual machine and reinstall Parallels Tools to fix the issue. If it persists, you may try this setting:
    System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> Advanced --> uncheck "Log out after 15 minutes of inactivity" and keep us posted the results.

12. EiichiY

EiichiY Bit poster

Thanks.
    As the Log out after... was not checked in the first place in my case, I intentionally checked it and saw what would happen (top panel), and ended up with insomnia again :<
    At this point, unchecking the CheckButton alone can't cure the symptoms, but here's some tips (bottom panel).
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 17.10.16.png

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  13. parallan

parallan Bit poster

Does anyone have any other suggestions to solve this problem, I have tried the three solutions suggested in this thread to no avail
    Help

14. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Have you tried all the three solutions in this thread?