Keyboard on Windows 10 Pro doesn't work with Windows applications (Parallels 12)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PauloC1, Aug 22, 2017.

1. PauloC1

PauloC1 Bit poster

Keyboard on Windows 10 Pro doesn't work with Windows native applications.
    - My Apple keyboard is American.
    - I am using Parallels 12.
    - I am using US-International keyboard on Windows 10 Pro.
    - Other no windows applications everything ok.
    - Windows is updated.
    - I have installed Windows 10 pro from "zero"
    I need help ! Please !

2. MichaelS39

MichaelS39 Bit poster

I wish I could help. I have exactly the same problem with Win10 on Parallels 13 Pro. Keyboard works within non-Windows apps but nothing happens if I use it in the box where it says "Type here to search" or in the enter web address bar in MS Edge. Works within the apps I use but it is really strange behavior I wish I could eliminate. HELP!!!

3. Parallels 13 here and have the same problem. Keyboard works fine inside of apps, but won't work in Windows (like the search or file explorer for example). This is something that started happening after Windows 10 was installed (I've used Parallels since about version 3!) Tried the Settings->Access in the KB articles, I've rebooted, reinstalled the toolbox, fiddled with mouse and keyboard settings. Nothing changes behavior ... keyboard works fine TO LOG IN (type password) and after that only within Apps (not for anything directly to do with Windows ... even the Edge browser search bar has stopped working (that used to work at least).

If you go to the Win10 control panel for the keyboard, I can type in the key repeat test box and everything works. It thinks everything is OK. Drivers are OK. It just doesn't work for the Windows OS specific stuff. Obviously keyboard is there and works INSIDE other apps. Strange and frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2017
  4. PauloC1

PauloC1 Bit poster

Parallels Team should be to fix this... :( Maybe a problem in Parallels Desktop Home...

Parallels User likes this.
  5. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi PauloC1, MichaelS39 and KenM1. Kindly be informed that this is a known issue with Windows 10 and happens on real Windows PC's as well. As a workaround (results not guaranteed), navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and locate the application 'ctfmon'. Next, press CMD+R in Windows to launch the Run window, type 'shell:startup' (without the quotes) in the text field, hit 'Enter' (which opens a new window), drag and drop the 'ctfmon' application from the other window into the new window, launch it (no application window will open and nothing will seem to happen because, after being launched, the application will simply run hidden in the background) and restart Windows.

6. OK, after a bit of a struggle (and surprisingly CMD R was recognized in Windows! Figured it wouldn't allow the keyboard to work ... but it did!) ... I got ctfmon.exe copied into the Startup ... launched it ... Viola! Keyboard seems to work in all modes now ... (I had to do "Run as administrator" to get it to launch correctly, but that got it going)

Feeling lucky, I rebooted Windows ... sure enough, the startup hack did the trick and it all seems to work. Thanks for the work around!

7. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Glad to know that you were able to sort out the issue. Please get back to us for any further queries.

8. PauloC1

PauloC1 Bit poster

The Parallels team answered me below. I'll try the procedure. Thank you Parallels!

Kindly be informed that this is a known issue with Windows 10 and happens on real Windows PC's as well. As a workaround (results not guaranteed), navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and locate the application 'ctfmon'. Next, press CMD+R in Windows to launch the Run window, type 'shell:startup' (without the quotes) in the text field, hit 'Enter' (which opens a new window), drag the 'ctfmon' application from the other window into the new window, launch it (no application window will open and nothing will seem to happen because, after being launched, the application will simply run hidden in the background) and restart Windows

9. PauloC1

PauloC1 Bit poster

Thank you Parallels Team! Now the keyboard is working...

10. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @PauloC1 , glad that your issue is resolved. Please reach us anytime for further assistance.

11. Denisd2

Denisd2 Bit poster

Hello community ,
    i am unable to text anythings anywhere in windows . :/

do you think i can resolve the problem with any other solution ?

thanks a lot

12. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Have you tried the workaround and checked?

13. PhilipK2

PhilipK2 Bit poster

I got this problem a couple of weeks after starting with P13 and W10. The suggested fix has worked for me. If it goes wrong again I will add another message.

14. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Feel free to reach us anytime for support.