Cannot connect Canon Pixma ip5000

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by nicols0n, Sep 16, 2007.

1. nicols0n

nicols0n Bit poster

Hi, I'm a newb to Parallels. I have installed Parallels with Vista Business, but cannot make my printer work from it. It is installed as a USB conncetion to my Mac Pro and works fine on Mac, but I cannot even get a test print to work. I have installed it as a separate printer via Vista and even that does not help. Has anybody any advice?

nicols0n

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

let's try to make your printer work.
    First of all, make sure that your printer is connected to your Mac and ready to work.
    Then go to Parallels and start your Windows. There you should install drivers for you printer (but I think you've already done it).
    Go Start menu->Printer and Faxes->Add printer->Local Printer attached to this computer. There you must choose your printer and try to print any text.
    If it doesn't work, you should check your Mac settings. Go System Preferences->Sharing and make sure that Printer sharing is enabled.

If your printer still doesn't work, write me back please. We will try to do it other way.

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. nicols0n

nicols0n Bit poster

Still no good! Cannot connect Canon Pixma ip5000

Check that the printer is workig on Mac - Yes. - Printed your reply!

Check System Preferences permits sharing - Yes. However, in Parallels, still the same message - Error printing - when I send a test print.

So I deleted the printer in Vista> Control Pannel>Hardware & Sound>Printers>delete this printer.

Re-install - Control Panel> Add printer>Add a Local Printer> use existing port (LPT1)> install driver> Canon ip5000>replace current driver>set as default>installing printer>share with others on your network>print Test Page>Test Page has been sent to your printer>Document Queue> Test Page - Error Printing!

I have tried this on LPT 1/2/3 and Vista port, and no joy!

Have you any further suggestions?

Nicols0n

4. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

try to use this article. May be it will help you. If not, tell me please.

Best regards,
    Stacey

5. nicols0n

nicols0n Bit poster

Hi Stacey

Still no joy!

I have uninstalled Canon printer driver from Mac, re-installed it and tested it - OK.
    I have romoved the old Parallel Port using - and put in a new one using +. At the piont the artivcle says 'Use a Printer, Vista says 'specify a location for parallel port output file. It offers '/Users/username/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows Vista Parallels VM/parallel2.txt' where username is the computer HD name. I tried this with no luck, so I tried deleting and clicking on the 3 ... sign to give a file location. I was not sure where the driver was other than on the Mac Hard disc, but found a number of possibilities and tried '/Users/username/Library/Printers/iP5000'. Still no luck!

When I try to print a test, I get a message 'printer is not responding' and when I try to delete the document from the Printer queue, it sits there frozen. The only way to remove the document from the queue is to delete the printer from Vista in Control Panel.

Have you any further advice? I really need to get this resulved as I have to run one programme essential for my business which is not available in any mac form!

6. BarryP13@mac.com

BarryP13@mac.com Member

Does the printer work with Windows XP?

Is the printer a Vista compatible printer? that might be the issue. check with cannon to see if they have Vista Sprcific drivers.

7. nicols0n

nicols0n Bit poster

Yes I have now tried that and still no luck. I have upgraded both Vista and Mac from the Canon UK website. However, the driver I am using in Vista is the one taht comes with Vista for the Canon Pixma ip5000. I downloaded and ran the dopwnloaed zip to the default loaction which was system32.

It must be something simple, it can't be this difficult - or is this why we all use Macs?!!!

Stacey, have you any other ideas?

I do really appreciate this help, thank you both.

Nicols0n

8. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

9. nicols0n

nicols0n Bit poster

Many thanks, that has cracked it. I am printing and away! Now I can get back to earning some money!

Thread closed from me - Nicols0n.

Many thanks to Stacy, BarryP and John.