Can the Parallels Desktop 13 run High Sierra?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Steve_Harper, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Steve_Harper

Steve_Harper Junior Member

Hi,

As you know High Sierra officially comes out tomorrow. I can't upgrade to it on my Mac because I have important couple 32 bit programs that I must continue to have. So yesterday I upgraded to 13 in hopes of upgrading to High Sierra in a VM tomorrow.

2. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @steve, Parallels Desktop 13 will support Mac OS High Sierra when it is released officially. Please refer http://kb.parallels.com/124223 to find the system requirement of Parallels Desktop 13.

Thanks
    Alfena

3. Steve_Harper

Thank you Alfena. I'm trying it now.

4. RadekV

RadekV Junior Member

Hi, I have upgraded to the Parallels Desktop 13 and macOS High Sierra. Resolution is in the screen... the new version od Parallels Desktop will not start....

Attached Files:

5. Steve_Harper

OK, I've upgraded to High Sierra and the sound won't work. Also I too having problems of screen resolution.

6. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @Steve_Harper , Please go to Actions > reinstall Parallels Tools and check if it works.

Thanks, Alfena

7. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @RadekV , Please follow the steps provided at http://kb.parallels.com/122953 and check if it works.

Thanks, Alfena

8. Steve_Harper

I did reinstalled parallels tools twice last night. It didn't work.

9. Steve_Harper

See, there's no sound in the VM.

Attached Files:

10. mcgroarty

mcgroarty Member

Sound is working in the VM for me with Parallels Desktop 13.0.1. This is with a macOS Sierra host, and a macOS VM that I upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra.
    Those of you having sound problems: What combination of host and gust OS? Also, is this with a fresh macOS High Sierra install or an upgrade?

11. mcgroarty

mcgroarty Member

I'm having different problems than others. For me, sound works with a High Sierra guest. But I can't drag icons in Finder. Any attempt to drag an icon just leaves the icon highlighted as if the mouse weren't moving. After the dragging attempt, Finder becomes very slow and I can't even double-click files to open them for a while.

12. Steve_Harper

The main OS is Sierra 10.12.6. So what do I do to fix the sound in the VM???????????

13. Steve_Harper

Fresh install of High Sierra in a brand-new VM.

14. tmo1138

tmo1138 Bit poster

I have a different problem.. performance is horrific on my system.. Sierra is the host and High Sierra is the guest.. it's glitchy.. UI paint issues.. LOTS of lag.. I mean it's horrific..

System Information: Model: Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - CPU: Intel Xeon E5645 (24 Threads, 12 Cores) @ 2.40 GHz - Memory: 52.00 GB - Uptime: 6 days - Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7950 - Display Resolution: 3008 x 1692 - OS: macOS Sierra (Version 10.12.6, Build 16G29)

15. Uptown Jorge

Uptown Jorge Bit poster

Please check if your drive is listed as an Apple SSD drive. I am rather annoyed with this issue.

I have a hypothesis: I am not sure why but it created a virtual SSD disk on mine and of course you can't stop it from converting to APFS. That is the issue. Once it sees the virtual disk as an SSD, you get converted to APFS.

In my case, I am running my host on an HFS+ Fusion drive. That means I am emulating the APFS SSD on top of an HFS+ Fusion setup. If the system is hitting Disk and not the NAND, then ... slow.

Jorge

16. tmo1138

tmo1138 Bit poster

Hey there Jorge! Looks like High Sierra sees the drive as not an SSD. Probably because I specifically put it on a mechanical drive.

Available: 56.96 GB (56,963,411,968 bytes)
    Capacity: 67.86 GB (67,859,718,144 bytes)

Mount Point: /
    File System: Journaled HFS+
    Writable: Yes
    Ignore Ownership: No
    BSD Name: disk1s2
    Volume UUID: 8B7C1A09-XXXXX
    Physical Drive:
    Device Name: macOS High Sierra-0
    Media Name: macOS High Sierra-0 Media
    Medium Type: Rotational
    Protocol: SATA
    Internal: Yes
    Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

17. AdamS17

AdamS17 Bit poster

I had performance issues running a 10.13 guest on PD 13 as well. In my situation I was able to narrow it down to the kernal_task process consuming 100% of 1 virtual CPU, when I assigned more then 2GB of ram to the guest OS. So for now I'm keeping the ram on the 10.13 guest at 2GB until a fix is released, which unfortunately was not today's update (13.1.0 - 43108). I contacted support last week and it sounds like they are aware of it and working on a fix.

18. TomT4

TomT4 Bit poster

The answer to the subject of this thread is "no" the current version of parallels v13.1.0 (43108) cannot run high sierra.