Bootcamp in Parallels 13

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DaveM6, Aug 22, 2017.

1. DaveM6

DaveM6 Junior Member

I don't see an option to install a Bootcamp VM with Parallels 13, yet the instructions in the product say to go to the New menu and select the Bootcamp option. How do I create a bootcamp VM?

2. BrianL12

BrianL12 Bit poster

I have this problem also. Does anyone know of a work around?

3. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello All, Thanks for reaching us! Please refer this article http://kb.parallels.com/112941 If the option to Use Windows from Boot Camp is not present in Parallels Wizard, we would request you to follow alternate steps and check it helps. Thanks, Shathish

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  4. Kim2

Kim2 Bit poster

I have the same problem, I think it is a bug. I only want to use bootcamp vm, but now I can't. I want to request refund!

5. Kim2

Kim2 Bit poster

The Customer Services told me this is a problem, they are fixing it. But I don't know when we can use the bootcamp vm. Maybe one month?

6. DaveM6

DaveM6 Junior Member

Does not work. The bootcamp partition does not show up in the source drop down for hard Drive. Only images files from other VMs.

7. RobB4

RobB4 Bit poster

Are the alternate steps written in invisible ink as i don't see them???, please help as to boot from Boot Camp was the only reason i purchased Parallels

Attached Files:

8. viola

viola Hunter

Ugh. Is this due to EFI boot being missing/dysfunctional in Parallels 13?

UPDATE: I am seeing it sometimes, but not others. There appears to be some kind of context switching as to when EFI boot is available..

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  9. SebastianL1

SebastianL1 Bit poster

I'm having the same issue here. The KB article Shathish@Parallels is suggesting is not solving the issue.
    Also, there is no list of known issues with Parallels 13 that lists this issue. I want to get a refund as well.

10. AurelioM

AurelioM Bit poster

[QUOTE = "Shathish @ Parallels, post: 826844, membro: 6657301"] Ciao a tutti, grazie per averci raggiunto! Fai riferimento a questo articolo http://kb.parallels.com/112941 Se l'opzione di utilizzare Windows dal Boot Camp non รจ presente in Parallels Wizard, ti richiederemo di seguire i passi alternativi e controllarli che aiuta. Grazie, Shathish [/ QUOTE]
    Please, have you found a solution? Your KB doesn't go!!! Tks.

11. NaciY

NaciY Bit poster

I have recently bought Parallels 13 to use with my existing Boot Camp partition on macOS 10.13 High Sierra.

"Works with Boot Camp" is the given statement on the product's web page along with the following details "Reuse your existing Boot Camp installation. Converting a virtual machine from Boot Camp is easier and more intuitive than ever".

Unfortunately, Parallels Desktop does not recognize Windows 10 partition to be selected on Installation Assistant screen. Furthermore, I also tried to locate partition manually as given in support pages but it does not work either. As a first time user of Parallels Software, I am very disappointed in the outcome.

AurelioM likes this.
  12. AurelioM

AurelioM Bit poster

I add an information.
    In My case, Parallels doesn't run through an old VM based on Windows 7.
    If I use a VM with Ubuntu, it run normally.

The same situatIon... different results!
    Why?

13. DaveM6

DaveM6 Junior Member

As much as this pains me. I haven't had a single answer from Parallels if or when this will be addressed or if they EVEN acknowledge this as a problem they are addressing. I Had an old version of VMWare Fusion, which has just released it's version 10 with High Sierra Support. I can happily report that Boot Camp creation and operation WORKS with it, on a High Sierra Mac using APFS and a Windows 10 Boot Camp.

I hope Parallels fixes this, and shares it soon. I have liked Parallels much better over the years, but operational capabilities (using Boot Camp) outweighs the other items Parallels has brought to the table that made them the better choice over VMWare Fusion.

14. DaveM6

DaveM6 Junior Member

Just to clarify. I used an old version of VMWare Fusion I had to upgrade to the new version 10 of VMWare Fusion, which supports High Sierra, and I had no trouble creating a VM from my existing Windows 10 Boot Camp partition.

15. NaciY

NaciY Bit poster

I wish I could have the option of buying another virtualization software such as VMWare Fusion but my student budget does not allow under these circumstances. By the way, I also created a ticket on Parallels Support by sending a Technical Report for further investigation. I hope it will be fixed soon.

16. NaciY

NaciY Bit poster

Parallel Support team has replied my inquiry regarding this problem. They are aware of the situation and working to address it in one of future builds of Parallels. You could find their suggested workaround below. I hope this will help you as well.

17. MarkS25

MarkS25 Bit poster

Yeah I had the option but after executing it, I upgraded to High OS Sierra and the VM just went bad. Removed to reimport and no option. Also supplied options do nothing, just expand the bootcamp disk. So what am I missing. Is this a bug. Will it get fixed soon? What is a person to do here exactly? Starting to wonder why I even stick with a Mac.

18. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @MarkS25,

As a workaround, please check out the steps mentioned below:

1. Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP).

2. Restart the Mac, on Apple logo loading screen press CMD + R to boot into Recovery.

3. In Recovery, on Mac menu bar locate Utilities menu > open Terminal application.

4. Type in the commands below one-by-one:

csrutil disable

5. reboot
    6. Back in a normal mode remove the existing machine or create the new one, depending on the customer's scenario.

7. Boot macOS into Recovery again and enable SIP back running the following Terminal commands:

csrutil enable

8. reboot