BootCamp partition access in Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by defroster, Sep 19, 2007.

1. defroster

defroster Bit poster

Hello,

If I install Apple's BootCamp so I can boot my MacBook Pro on Windows, can I then access exactly the same windows partition through Parallels when logged on to my Mac environment? Or are these two completely separate partitions/installations?

thanks, defroster

2. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

you can access your BootCamp Windows through your VM. But not vice versa.

Best Regards,
    Alicia.

3. skeedatl

skeedatl Member

Yes and that is what I do on my Mac Pros and MacBook Pros.

After installing Parallels Desktop on your Mac you choose custom for the setup, then Bootcamp. After starting your bootcamp partition from within Parallels you will be prompted the first time to reactivate Windows (which you may end up having to call microsoft to do). This only happens once (at least it is supposed to) and then Windows will be properly activated whether you boot straight into Bootcamp or start your bootcamp partition in parallels desktop.

With my Vista Ultimate installs, I've had to reactivate a number of times as I've tried newer Parallels versions that didn't work so hot. After calling microsoft to activate the first time, every subsequent time I was prompted to reactivate (again, only after MAJOR changes to my bootcamp install or Parallels) I was able to do it online and it would go through no problem.