Windows XP install hangs at 33 minutes

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by spiderdan, Jun 18, 2007.

1. spiderdan

spiderdan Bit poster

I have a brand new 15" MBP (Santa Rosa; NVIDIA 8600M GT graphics controller; etc.). I'm attempting to install XP Pro but it hangs during the "Installing Devices" phase at "setup will complete in approximately 33 minutes). Could there be an issue with no video driver being present since it's such a new device?

Dan

2. sbalthazor

sbalthazor Bit poster

Also Hanging at Installing Devices

I am having the same problem (although mine shows 35 minutes to go). I also have a brand new MacBook Pro purchased over the weekend. I upgraded from my PowerPC specifically so I could run Parallels - so this is kind of frustrating...

My installation by the way is from a WindowsXP SP1 disk from an old PC I used to own. Not sure but I couldn't find anywhere that Parallels is requiring SP2 for installation...

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,
    Scott

3. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Which version of Parallels?

ajm

4. sbalthazor

sbalthazor Bit poster

I'm on v3.0 - but I've found that if I use an .ISO image instead of direct from the CD/DVD it gets further now...still can't complete but it gets by that one step.

I'm getting closer...

5. sbalthazor

sbalthazor Bit poster

OK I finally got it to install - just had to use an .ISO image (not the disc) and kept clicking reset virtual machine until it finally got all thr way through (each time it would stop in a different place). Took me about 15 or 16 restarts...Persistence pays off.

-Scott

6. spiderdan

spiderdan Bit poster

Version 3.0 of Parallels. I too was using an XP SP1 upgrade disk (using the new product key for a SP2 upgrade disk that my MBP couldn't read - after calling MS tech support, they told me I could use this new product key for any of my licensed install CDs). When I finally tried to create an image of the SP2 upgrade disk using my G5 to make a .dmg image, I finally was successful in completing the install process. Now, Parallels is working like a charm!

7. karma-lab

karma-lab Junior Member

I had the exact same problem. And I would restart the VM many times, sometimes it would crash during the installation, sometimes it would hang at "Installing Devices 36 minutes" etc. Trying the .iso or .dmg install options mentioned elsewhere did not work for me.

What DID work was this solution:

http://kb.parallels.com/entry/31/280/

Even though the title of that refers to XP with SP0, it's also a problem with SP1.

When it gets to the spot where it's hanging, press the VM Stop button, answer yes. Then after the window spins around, click on Configuration (or choose it from the menu) and choose the Advanced tab, set the Acceleration Level to Disabled. Then restart the VM, it will restart the installation and...it worked perfectly for me!

Once windows has finished launching, you can Exit windows (shut down), go back into configuration, and set the Acceleration back to High.

Note: I have a Dell XP SP1 install disk, that was not the problem.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  8. georgewwwbush

georgewwwbush Bit poster

This is how to fix this problem!

So this is the solution to a 33 (34/36 or 30 something) minute XP installation hangup problem:
    Its as simple as deleting a simple 'inf' file which caused the installation to freeze.
    I found this info here
    First time I had this particular problem with different XP versions. I menaged once to just keep swopping different WIN XP cd's during the install. If you just take out the CD after restarting for the first time during the total installation proces. If you do so before 38 minutes left. There it starts to hang up to 33 minutes, once past the 33 minutes you're home free.

* Let the XP hang up at 34 minutes remaining for the first time
    * remove the CD from the CDROM and reboot
    * Dont enter the CD when the installation asks for it, instead open the DOS prompt (Shift + F10)
    * goto C:/Windows and type setupapi.log, hit enter
    * The setupapi.log file opens in a notepad
    * Scroll to the very last few lines in the file and search for the word inf
    * You will notice that in the last few moments the installation created a file with the extension .inf before dying out (in my case it was the faulty modem for which XP created the file mdmcxpt.inf).
    * It means that the device mentioned in the last few lines is faulty and you have to make the installation skip through it.
    * Close the notepad and go to the folder C:/windows/inf in command prompt
    * Browse through the files to find the .inf which was related to the faulty device.
    * Straightaway delete the inf file (eg: del mdmcxpt.inf)
    * now put in the XP installation CD and Continue the installation

It will not put in the drivers related to the faulty device and so it wont freeze this time !!

This time I'm a little bit more screwed. My CD-ROMS wont boot a nother CD or will finish any attempt to do a fresh install. My C drive needs to be deleted (f**ked MBR Master Boot Record and / or MFT Master File Table reading error) and again newly created with Fdisk, then formatted and reinstalled
    with (just to be sure) a new ISO with XP or whatever. I liked windows 2000 better anyway. My 3 years of XP horror taught my but one thing.. Windows XP? It so much sucks in general. All the bugs, flaws, bleu screens, viruses and spyware and all that kind of crap.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  9. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Probably bellow is the more easier way
    1. If you can use Windows SP slipstreamed disk
    2. If not
    Disable Intel VT-x , Hardware acceleration
    3. Use custom installation

10. nookeen

nookeen Bit poster

The same problem but it went away

I had the same problem got stick at 33 minutes. However, after removing the CD of XP Home OEM SP0 and then putting it back it went through the 33 min point. It stopped at 19 minutes, but then I did the same and it went through all the way. Maybe I got lucky, not sure but it worked.

11. Michel Houde

Michel Houde Bit poster

Hangs at 33 minutes

georgewwwbush is right.
    For two months I tried to install Xp Pro.
    Finely I used an old version Xp Sp1 and proceed like he wrote..
    Had to delete three xxxx.inf that were making trouble.
    After installation on my old Thinkpad I just intalled the missing drivers and that's it.
    To bad I just saw that now.
    Thanks to georgewwwbush.

12. Aaron Padoshek

Aaron Padoshek Bit poster

Problem still exists in Parallels 4.0

Is there any solution to this in Parallels 4.0? The problem still exists. 4.0 does not have the same configuration option listed in this solution: http://kb.parallels.com/en/4975.

13. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

14. AnttiK

AnttiK Bit poster

Now I do not know whether this'll help anyone but as I got so much valuable info from all these Mac-related forums on the internet while installing my 1st MacBook, I thought I'd do my share as well... here it goes:

I had the similar prob with installing Windows XP Pro (with SP2). Bootcamp just did not work for me, after several tries and a lot of bad words coming out of my mouth I gave up and started searching for an alternative solution. I already knew Parallel Desktops so I came to this site and found the "try for free" -option. That really made my day as I got the possibility there to try one more time whether Parallel would do the trick. And it did! With 1st try, without ANY problems!

The way I did it was that I had before made an image file of my Windows XP Pro disc and that was on my MacBook Air desktop. The installation program asked me from where I would like to install and I chose that image file. And, as said above, it worked really, really well. No hangups, no problems. Now I've got my XP on my Mac and everything is running really smoothly. Thanks, Parallels!

If anyone happens to read this and knows the answer, could you guys please tell me whether there is any possibility to use more than one USB-gadget on a MacBook Air? I mean I do have a powered USB-hub but it does not seem to be enough as f.ex. my iphone does not start charging...?

15. LaneR

LaneR Bit poster

INF fix doesn't quite work

So I tried the above mentioned fix of opening up the setupapi.log then finding the "inf file" however my never created a file - yet goes through this exactly...

Executing C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe with command line: Setup - newsetup
    #I393 Modified INF cache "C:\WINDOWS\inf\INFCACHE.1
    #I393 Modified INF cache "C:\WINDOWS\dell\aac\INFCACHE.1
    #I393 Modified INF cache "C:\WINDOWS\dell\aarich\INFCACHE.1
    #I393 Modified INF cache "C:\WINDOWS\dell\cercsr6\INFCACHE.1
    #I393 Modified INF cache "C:\WINDOWS\dell\a320raid\INFCACHE.1
    #I393 Modified INF cache "C:\WINDOWS\dell\iastor\INFCACHE.1
    #I393 Modified INF cache "C:\WINDOWS\dell\nvraid\INFCACHE.1
    #-166 Device install function: DIF_FIRSTIMESETUP.
    #E154 Class installer failed. Error 13: The data is invalid.

says that a few times and also says "processing of call to class installer failed. Error 87: The parameter is incorrect.

I tried the deleting processes of the INFCACHE.1 files, rebooted same problem, same message every time.

any ideas??

16. LaneR

LaneR Bit poster

So I tried the above mentioned fix of opening up the setupapi.log then finding the "inf file" however my never created a file - yet goes through this exactly...

#I393 Modified INF cache "C:\WINDOWS\inf\INFCACHE.1
    #I393 Modified INF cache "C:\WINDOWS\dell\aac\INFCACHE.1
    #I393 Modified INF cache "C:\WINDOWS\dell\aarich\INFCACHE.1
    #I393 Modified INF cache "C:\WINDOWS\dell\cercsr6\INFCACHE.1
    #I393 Modified INF cache "C:\WINDOWS\dell\a320raid\INFCACHE.1
    #I393 Modified INF cache "C:\WINDOWS\dell\iastor\INFCACHE.1
    #I393 Modified INF cache "C:\WINDOWS\dell\nvraid\INFCACHE.1
    #-166 Device install function: DIF_FIRSTIMESETUP.
    #E154 Class installer failed. Error 13: The data is invalid.

says that a few times and also says "processing of call to class installer failed. Error 87: The parameter is incorrect.

I tried the deleting processes of the INFCACHE.1 files, rebooted same problem, same message every time.

any ideas??