PD Update 13.1 breaks Mac OS X guest

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by eweri, Oct 7, 2017.

1. eweri

eweri Bit poster

Hello!

I have to run an old Mac OS 10.8.5 guest because I need access to an old database. The VM is configured to revert any changes because I do not want to make any changes to the database. It is configured to start the database at boot and the database wants to make a backup immediately.

And now the problem: I was running the VM with 13.0 without any problems - since the update to 13.1 parallels wants to install the parallels tools into the VM and tries to restart the VM - and the database stops rebooting because it has not done its backup (i have to click Cancel to abort the backup) AND I can not click any more!

I can stop the VM but I was not able to get any mouse click into the VM.

If I were able to start the guest OS in "Safe Boot" I can get further, but it looks like the 13.1 can not communicate with 13.0 parallels tools - so I think, I can not click into the VM until the parallels tools are installed but I can not reboot after install - every update before 13.1 could click and accept keyboard input even without parallels tools installed at all.

I was able to boot into the Recovery partition, but it lags also the mouse and keyboard input.

Every help is welcome

2. JohnF13

JohnF13 Bit poster

Revert back to Parallels 13.0 until Parallels releases a fix for 13.1

3. eweri

eweri Bit poster

Hello JohnF13!

It won't damage any VMs that are already upgraded to 13.1? For testing proposes I have a complete zoo of Windows VMs that updated without a problem.

Bye

4. JohnF13

JohnF13 Bit poster

That may be true but if you turn on Parallel's "nested virtualization" your zoo will be dead under Parallels 13.1

5. eweri

eweri Bit poster

Well - looks like PD 13.1 has problems with older Mac OS guests.

I downgrade to 13.0 and reinstalled my Mac OS guest from backup. I switch off auto start objects, activated remote access via ssh and vnc, so I can access the vm if mouse and keyboard still do not work.

Updated to 13.1 and same problem: no access via mouse or keyboard - reinstalled Parallels tools and checked that they were running in the VM guest. But it does not work - so looks like 13.1 break support for older Mac OS guests.

6. KonstantinV

KonstantinV Bit poster

I can confirm that reverting back to 13.0.1 (42947) helps. I've just asked the support team for a link.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  7. FredS6

FredS6 Bit poster

I am experiencing the same issue. If anyone has a link to the 13.0.1 installer or information about how to revert, I would appreciate it. I am locked out of all my VM's!

8. KonstantinV

KonstantinV Bit poster

9. FredS6

FredS6 Bit poster

The downgrade solves the issue. Thank you very much!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  10. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi KonstantinV & FredS6,
    This issue is now investigated by our development team and will be fixed soon.

11. viola

viola Hunter

Same here :( 10.8 is dead

12. viola

viola Hunter

Some Windows 10 apps are now broken too strangely. Edge for example will not allow typing @Ajith@Parallels.

13. viola

viola Hunter

When will we see this update?! 13.1 fixed some problems on another area and I can't downgrade without breaking that! ;(