BootCamp on secondary Hard Drive won't boot.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DaveM6, Oct 8, 2017.

1. DaveM6

DaveM6 Junior Member

I have an iMac with MACOS 10.13 running, installed on a SSD. I have a BOOTCAMP Windows 10 installed on an internal SATA HDD. I have no problem seeing BOOTCAMP in the Systems Preferences Startup Disk Panel. I have no problem booting or switching between MACOS and BOOTCAMP.

I can run the BOOTCAMP wizard from Parallels Desktop 13.10. It does find the BOOTCAMP partition (which 13.01 did not). It creates the VM, but when it attempts to boot from it, is shows "Trying to boot from SATA drive 1" and never moves past that. I have checked the configuration of the Hard Drive and it is pointing to the correct partition in the VM Configuration Hard Disk panel.

Help.!

2. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello @DaveM6 We would request you to follow the below steps and check it helps.

Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP).

1. Restart the Mac, on Apple logo loading screen press CMD + R to boot into Recovery.

2. In Recovery, on Mac menu bar locate Utilities menu > open Terminal application.

3. Type in the commands below one-by-one:

csrutil disable

reboot

4. Back in a normal mode remove the existing machine or create the new one,
    5. Boot macOS into Recovery again and enable SIP back running the following Terminal commands:

csrutil enable

reboot your Mac and check whether you will be able to access your Boot Camp in Parallels Desktop.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  3. DaveM6

DaveM6 Junior Member

Disabling SIP did not change anything.. Still same results

4. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

5. DaveM6

DaveM6 Junior Member

I am currently running 13.1.0 (43108). When I try to download the client I also get 13.1.0. Your asking me to drop back to a prior version and try against that? How do I get it?

6. EricB10

EricB10 Bit poster

Hi there. I have exactly the same issue. I run High Sierra, the latest build of Parallels (43108) and I also cannot get Bootcamp to run. It stalls with the same SATA screen.
    Tried the SIP thing - no help.

My hard disk is encrypted - seemingly a new option in High Sierra which I chose upon installation.

7. EricB10

EricB10 Bit poster

Help too!

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @EricB10, thanks for reaching out! Please send us problem report and post its id here. For this open Parallels Desktop, in its Mac app menu go to Help -> Send Technical Data.

9. EricB10

EricB10 Bit poster

not sure how to post the report here, it was send to support i believe

Report ID: 218659689

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @DaveM6, you can download the previous build here and check how it works.

11. EricB10

EricB10 Bit poster

No change. Also not from the newly updated version of Parallels.
    My trial period for Parallels expires tomorrow.

In SUMMARY:
    - I have managed to get a fresh installation of Windows 10 to work
    - But none of the suggestions of Parallels Support allowed my to virtualise my existing "My Bootcamp" installation (Windows 10 Creator) on my Mac Air (running High Sierra) worked. I have probably spend a full working day *or even more) trying to get it running
    - As I have no confidence that a complete reinstallation of my Bootcamp (with numerous activation, updagrade etc) as suggested by Support will change the situation, I must disappointingly conclude that Parallels in its current incarnation is buggy and does not work for me (and probably others) who want to use their bootcamp installation

12. JimS8

JimS8 Bit poster

I installed High Sierra a week or two ago. I was running Parallels Desktop 11 For Mac and I was not able to run my previous Windows 10 Professional VM. I saw it was a known issue so yesterday I upgraded to Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Pro Edition (from version 11). I am now getting the same issue as stated above.
    ("Trying to boot from SATA drive 1" and never moves past that.) I am running version 13.1.1. Any ideas?

13. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @JimS8 , please follow steps suggested in the article and let us know if that helps.

14. GeorgeH3

GeorgeH3 Bit poster

Same problem with me. I am running build 13.2.0(43213)

15. GeorgeH3

GeorgeH3 Bit poster

With the latest update it works fine ! Thanks Parallels