parallels full screen display breaks up after swipe from mac screen

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AxelH3, Sep 25, 2017.

1. AnthonyD1

AnthonyD1 Bit poster

Would anyone at Parallels care to acknowledge the thread and indicate whether the issue is being looked at?

2. JoelP1

JoelP1 Bit poster

Yeah, same issue as everyone else is reporting. I was on Sierra last week and upgraded to High Sierra over the weekend and now get it about half the time when I four-finger swipe or Command-Tab from my Mac to Windows in full-screen mode. I found that if I try to take a screen capture of it just shows up as solid grey, in case that gives you any clues as to where the bug is. Per previous poster it would be good to see Parallels acknowledge this issue, as it's clearly pretty widespread.
    • Hardware: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), 16GB RAM, 2.4GHz i5, 256GB SSD, internal display
    • MacOS: High Sierra 10.13
    • Windows: Windows 10, Version 1703, OS build 15063.608
    • Parallels VM configuration: 7GB RAM, 2 CPUs, 512MB graphics memory, Resolution: "Best for retina display"

3. IgorB1

IgorB1 Bit poster

same problem here

4. AnthonyD1

AnthonyD1 Bit poster

I found this article in the Knowledge base: http://kb.parallels.com/en/123840
    in which the video artefacts problem is referenced (5th item down). On first reading it, I thought that it was referencing problems relating to Parallels 12 (and earlier) and hence the advice to upgrade to Parallels 13. Having read it again, I think they are saying these problems exist even with Parallels 13, so that for this particular issue, as with some others, no workaround is presently available.

5. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello All,

We have an issue with Video artefacts when switching desktop spaces in Full Screen mode. The issue is know and our Engineering team is working on it for a fix. We do not have a workaround as of now. Please refer http://kb.parallels.com/en/123840 for known issues in Parallels Desktop 13 and subscribe to get updates.
    Thanks

6. CalebA

CalebA Bit poster

I found out a temporary fix/little trick.
    Easiest way for Windows 10/8/7: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/display-seconds-in-taskbar-clock-windows
    Explanation:
    Ever since macOS High Sierra update, I have also been having problems with the "video artefacts" when switching desktop spaces. I use the "swipe to switch desktop spaces" all the time, and this is really annoying. However, when information "updates" on the virtual OS monitor, it seems to refresh the information on screen and makes the virtual OS monitor back to normal. Examples of what I am talking about:
    • Blinking cursor in Windows 10
    • Refreshing of icon in Windows Taskbar
    • Clicking command button while Windows virtual machine is active, opens start menu
    • When the time on the taskbar changes
    So the easiest way for Windows 10/8/7 is enabling seconds on your Windows (see link above for details). Therefore, the virtual OS monitor is forced to update at least once a second (instead of once a minute), and transition between desktop spaces is way better (>99% effective, usually will not notice any artefacts while using this trick).
    Note: I have only tested this in Windows 10 (with the registry modification only available for Windows 10 v1607+), however the link above have steps to enable it with Windows 10/8/7 also using a third-party program. I have not tested to see if this is a problem with other guest OS's but I assume they are.

Similar steps are possibly available for Linux guest OS's, and I know there is an option for macOS for enabling seconds.
    All you need is any program that changes information on screen at least once a second (and visible), so a program with a changing taskbar icon will work too, as long as the icon is not hidden.
    Feel free to reply to my post if anybody has any questions on how to do this. Hope this little trick helps others!

7. JiyoungC

JiyoungC Bit poster

The same problem with PD12 on my rMBP13 Mid-2014 right after upgrading to high Sierra.

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @JiyoungC,
    Please, make a report about the problem and send it to Parallels.
    Go to Menu->Help->Send Technical Data
    If it possible, also write here number of report

9. PhilippM1

PhilippM1 Bit poster

I am experiencing the same issue. I made a report to Parallels. Its amazing that this hasn't been fixed yet. I plan to update to Version 13, but not until this bug is fixed.

10. AnthonyD1

AnthonyD1 Bit poster

I have Parallels 13 installed, with a Windows 10 VM. I used the solution suggested by CalebA above and it worked for me.

11. KevinK6

KevinK6 Bit poster

This posts with the Problem (also from me) are In october. They already fixed that Problem in Version 13.

12. AnthonyD1

AnthonyD1 Bit poster

I had version 13 installed when I originally posted on this thread (as I wrote at the time). I was getting artifacts on swiping across from Mac to Windows even after the two updates to version 13 received since. Even with the fix I referred to above, I still get screen break-up on first swiping across, but the faster refresh rate prevents it happening thereafter.

13. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Hi Guys, we can do nothing with this bug. This bug was reported to Apple and we are waiting for a fix. No way to fix it from our side...

14. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Important note: By disabling 3D acceleration you can minimise the effect but it affects Windows performance and stability. You can meet black stripes and not fully drawn controls. Be aware about it.

15. AnthonyD1

AnthonyD1 Bit poster

UPDATE: I've just installed the newly released MacOS 10.13.2 Update on both my MacBook Pro and MacBook Air (each of which is running Parallels version 13 with a Windows 10 VM) and the artefacting issue now seems to have been rectified. I've disabled the registry solution I referenced above since it no longer appears to be necessary.

alexg likes this.