FreeDOS 1.2 hangs on Parallels 13 in fdimples

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by viola, Sep 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. viola

viola Hunter

After installing FreeDOS 1.2 (full install ISO) and attempting to install packages, the system hangs immediately upon getting into the package manager (`fdimples`). (I cannot use arrows to navigate or exit the manager. I can only STOP or RESET the system via the Actions menu.) Here is a screenshot:
    [​IMG]

I also found that if I run `fdimples /?` it also hangs at this point and I have to power off the machine:
    [​IMG]

I am wondering if networking is initiated at this time and if something is therefore causing a problem with the networking or that the networking is prompting this hang. I have attempted to use both SHARED, BRIDGED and even HOST-ONLY networking and they all have the same hanging result. Any idea of what may be going on with FreeDOS in this case that could be causing a hang? I just can't find any kind of logs or output that would shed light on why this hang happens.

NOTE: I also tried this on another workstation as well and it behaved exactly the same there as well. I believe this to be likely a bug with Parallels rather than FreeDOS.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  2. viola

viola Hunter

3. viola

viola Hunter

Same thing happens with Parallels 13.0.1.

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Yes, it is an issue in Parallels Desktop. I see that fdimples have workarounded it, see https://github.com/shidel/FDIMPLES/issues/1

We also have fixed it internally, but I cannot promise that the fix will appear in nearest updates.

5. viola

viola Hunter

6. viola

viola Hunter

@Elric still not able to find any copy of this....

7. viola

viola Hunter

This is still not fix in 13.1. I don't know what to do.

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Well.. I can send you a fixed bios via email, take a look into private messages

9. viola

viola Hunter

Thank you! FDIMPLES and others now work perfectly!