Moving pvm files into a Dropbox folder?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by FrankO1, Oct 13, 2017.

1. FrankO1

FrankO1 Member

I'd like to move my pvm files for Parallels Desktop 13 to a folder in the Dropbox file area on my MacBook so that they will have a guaranteed backup.

Is this permitted?

If so, what do I need to do to make this change?

2. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Hello FrankO1, it is not recommended to have a backup for Windows virtual machine (.pvm file) in Dropbox. Thanks!

3. FrankO1

FrankO1 Member

Meena, thanks for the information. Just out of curiosity, why is it not recommended?

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @FrankO1, the reason why is, the performance of the virtual machine will be affected. It might runs slow. Dropbox syncs all files in 4MB chunks. If, when writing a file, the application in question just changes a portion of the file, then Dropbox will only sync the changed portions, in 4MB chunks. However, if an application re-writes the entire file's structure when saving (like with some compressed files), then Dropbox will see that the entire file has changed and will need to re-sync the entire thing.

5. FrankO1

FrankO1 Member

Paul Chris, thanks for the explanation. Are there any other relatively automated backup systems that work well with Parallels .pvm files? Perhaps iCloud?

6. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You can use Time Machine to backup the virtual machine. Refer to article for steps.

7. FrankO1

FrankO1 Member

Thanks. That's what I'm actually doing right now (backing up with Time Machine). I was hoping for a more automated approach that wouldn't require me to do anything, but I guess I can keep going with Time Machine if need be.

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Alright ! @FrankO1, Time Machine back up is recommended. Feel free to reach out anytime and we are here to help!