Share Mac user folders with Windows with Parallels 12

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Kramer, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Kramer

Kramer Bit poster

I have a MacBook Pro early 2015 and just installed Parallels 12 with Win 10. First I have to say that I have the German version of Win 10 and Parallels. So this issue might be interesting only for German members. Whatsoever, when I set MacOS Sierra and Windows 10 to use the same folders Windows Explorer shows to folders: "Documents" which is related to MacOS and "Dokumente" (= German translation for documents) which is related to Win 10. So the Mac folder is not merged with the corresponding Windows folder.

In Mac's Finder the folder documents is shown as "Dokumente", because it's translated correctly by the system, but in Windows it is shown in its original version as "documents".
    What can I do to change "Documents" into "Dokumente"? I hope than there will be only one folder left in Explorer containing all documents from MacOS and Windows, or am I wrong with these expectations?

2. Hi, did you try some probable solution from the Microsoft website?
    Also please try these steps and let us know the results.

3. Moreover, I've found this article, please check and try.

4. Kramer

Kramer Bit poster

Maria, first of all thank you for your help and assistance.
    I changed the languages to English (US) on the Mac as well es under windows 10. But this didn't change the folder "Dokumente" to "Documents". No problem since I could rename the folder now which I couldn't before. So then the folder on the Mac and under Win 10 is now set to "documents". Under settings/share mac/shared profile "Share Mac user folders with windows" is also set to "documents".
    But both "documents" folders on Mac and Win 10 are separated and not unified. Maybe I'm wrong with my expectations. Shouldn't both folders be unified to one folder and should this one folder contain all folders from the Mac and Windows???

5. RamonC

RamonC Bit poster

Hi,
    I'm experiencing exactly the same problem, although in Spanish instead of German.

I'm running both the Mac and Windows in Spanish and I get, in Windows, two separate folders for Documents, Downloads, Music, Images and Video. This is, I have ten folders instead of five. For each pair of them, one has its folder name in Spanish ("Documentos") and its correspondent system icon and contains what is stored in Windows. The other has its name in English ("Documents") , shows a generic folder icon ans contains what is stored in the Mac.

However, the Desktop and the Recycle Bin are correctly merged.

Another surprising thing concerning language is that, in Windows, all items related to parallels in contextual menus are in English, despite Mac and Windows being set to Spanish.

Like Kramer said, I've tried to set both the Mac and Windows to English, to no avail. Only difference is that now all folders are named in English, but there is still a pair of them for each of Documents, Downloads, Music, Images and Video.

Any idea of what could be the problem?

My specifications:
    • Parallels 13 Pro for Mac
    • macOS Sierra
    • Windows 10 Pro 64 bits
    • All three updated to their latest versions as for 14th Oct 2017
    • Hardware: iMac 21.5" late 2013, 8GB of RAM

6. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi RamonC,
    The shared profile is created when you had Windows and Mac set to Spanish. We suggest you to try disabling Shared Profile under VM Configuration > Options > Sharing then restart the VM and enable sharing back. If it doesn't help, try creating a new VM and check.