Using Images from VPC using Acronis

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by DrFix, May 14, 2006.

1. DrFix

DrFix Junior Member

OK. First post for me after countless hours, cups of coffee and hair pulling. I went into my VPC7 images and created Acronis Images to later be imported into a Parallels VM. Seems that whenever they start up, be it 2000... or XP I get the BSOD. They "want" to start but as soon as the splash screen goes away I get a dump. This would save me a lot of time rather than having to recreate everything from scratch again. Very annoying. Doesn't seem to matter if I set acceleration to normal or even disable them.

I'd also like to know why we get two folders for the VM's? You'll get Win2000 and Win2000.1 and so forth. How about a clean graphical pick list like in VPC instead of digging through the folders? Drag and drop from desktop to desktop would be sweet as well. So far its been a challenge and I can see great potential but I'm not to the point of paying while beta'ing. Once things are settled I'd be more inclined.

2. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

Using Images from VPC

This probably won't work since the emulated hardware in VPC and Parallels are completely different so the Windows installation will be confused to the point of Blue Screen when you attempted to load it in Parallels.

Unless Parallels releases a converter of converting VPC images to Parallels you are out of luck.

[​IMG]

3. DrFix

DrFix Junior Member

You know, I was afraid that would be the case but wanted to try it out. I think VMWare had some sort of converter for VPC but don't quote me on that. *SIGH*... So I guess I'll have to create everything by hand again.

4. jonrobs

jonrobs Junior Member

5. rcomeau

rcomeau Member

I(f you are hoping to slavage the Windows licence from VPC, there are discussions of creating a Windows boot disk from the VPS OS pack in Apple's bootcamp discussion pages. The precedure was rather convolutred, but I managed to create a Windows XP boot disk that installed fine in Parallels. I even managed to register the install with MS.

Follow the thread at
    "http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2112646&#2112646", and you should be able to create a working Windows install disk from your VPC OS Pack.

Good luck,

Roch