Multiple OpenGL renderers, how to ensure the right one is picked by OpenGL app?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by CharlB, Oct 18, 2017.

1. CharlB

CharlB Bit poster

On my 2017 15" MacBook pro with Radeon Pro 560, the Windows 10 guest in parallels sees three (3) different OpenGL renderers.

Two of these report OpenGL version 2.1, whereas the third reports version 3.2. See the attached screenshots.

When I start any VTK 7.1 app, it selects one of the 2.1 contexts, and then bombs out because it requires on OpenGL 3.2 context.

When I run the glewinfo tool, it also selects the 2.1 context: "Running on a Parallels using AMD Radeon Pro 560 OpenGL Engine from Parallels and ATI Technologies Inc. -- OpenGL version 2.1 ATI-1.58.30 is supported"

My question is: How can I select which of the three OpenGL renderers is used by any given OpenGL app in my Windows guest? Can I somehow disable the two 2.1 capable renderers so that only the 3.2 is available?

Attached Files:

2. CharlB

CharlB Bit poster

I just found this KB article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/122485

It seems the OpenGL 3.2 support is only activated for a selected few games, and for the OpenGL Extensions viewer.

My question remains: How can I configure an app (in my case a VTK 7.1-based application I have to develop for a client) so that it uses the OpenGL 3.2 capable GL_RENDERER?

3. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hey @CharlB, sorry for such a late reply. We have fixed this issue in late Parallels Desktop 13 updates.