Keyboard and Mouse issues in 13.1.0

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by HansG3, Oct 15, 2017.

1. HansG3

HansG3 Bit poster

Hi there...
    On my High Sierra rig, with Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition Version 13.1.0 (43108), I realised that booting a VM with OSX-Version 10.7.x-10.10.x doesn't allow me to use Keyboard or Mouse to log on to the VM.
    With 10.11.x and above it works fine...
    Now for the fun part:
    If I wait for the VMs between 10.7.x-10.10.x to go to sleep and then wake them up, the Keyboard and Mouse are working again.
    I logged on, reinstalled the Parallels Tools, but on the next reboot the problem came back... No login possible until the VM was going in Sleep mode and I woke it up again.
    After checking all the VMs I have in the control center
    Parallels-VMs.jpg
    i found that the USB Bus for 10.7.x-10.10.x is
    USB-10.7.x.jpg
    while on 10.11.x and above the USB Bus is
    USB-10.11.x.jpg
    Anybody else having this issue?
    Any suggestions to get rid of the problem?
    Thanks in advance

Hans Baumeister likes this.
  2. Hans Baumeister

Hans Baumeister Bit poster

I just upgraded from 12 to 13 and am experiencing the same issue in an OSX Mavericks VM. However, my host OS is still 10.11, so it doesn't seem to be limited to High Sierra...

I hope there is a simple fix for this (other than waiting for the VM to go to sleep), otherwise I'm going to regret having upgraded!

3. xz4gb8

xz4gb8 Member

With the help of Parallels Support one-on-one remote accessing my machine I can now use OS X and macOS VMs with PDM 13.1 (I'm on High Sierra.).
    Suggested Process
    • If necessary, re-install PDM 13.0.
    • Verify proper VM operation under PDM 13.0
    • Shut down all VMs
    • Finder copy the VM bundles to a safe location. And/or. make a bootable clone backup which includes all VM files.
    • Configure OS X and macOS VMs with at least 4GB RAM and don't Optimize Keyboard or Mouse for games.
    • Install PDM 13.1
    • For each VM,
      • Verify the 4GB RAM and no game optimization
      • Start it
      • Wait for Tools installation or initiate it if required. Don't mess with it - just let it run.
      • After restart do the Suspend and Resume actions if needed. Maybe twice. Use the Actions menu.
      • Restart the VM to verify.
    Some of this may feel like voodoo. However, it worked for several VMs. I did not have to restore the backups.

Thanks Parallels Support.

4. Rainer1

Rainer1 Member

To clarify: the essence of this procedure is:
    (1) to go back to PDM 13.0
    (2) activate optimize mouse/keyboard for games
    (3) Update to PDM 13.1
    (4) deactivate optimize mouse/keyboard for games, update parallel tools and suspend/resume

The 4GB minimum requirement is really serious? I am running mutiple VMs as security containers, without an apllication on the host OSX. 2 OSX VMs with 6 and 4 GB, and 2 lightweight VMs with 2 and 0.5 GB (OSX + Linux). Upgrading those to 4 GB each will not work on my MBP with 16GB physical memory.

5. xz4gb8

xz4gb8 Member

I only related what worked for me. You may find that a smaller allocation will work. I've more than used up my testing time on this.

6. Rainer1

Rainer1 Member

Hi xz4gb8,

My summary was rather addressed to Parallels support to confirm that workaround, which is already quite cumbersome compared to a fix in the software.

7. Rainer1

Rainer1 Member

After reverting back to PD12.2 the system is back to normal. I have been working a full day with only 1 mouse freeze, an that was fixed by short suspend/resume.

8. HansG3

HansG3 Bit poster

Just installed the Update to 13.1.1 (43120) and it seems to work again... :)

9. JohnJohnD

JohnJohnD Bit poster

13.1.1 (43120) seems to have fixed this going back to 10.7 guest, but how about previous versions? I still have a couple of ancient 10.6 and even 10.5 machines chugging along...

10. xz4gb8

xz4gb8 Member

After installing 13.1.1 (43120) my Snow Leopard Server (10.6.8) seems to be working correctly.

11. Rainer1

Rainer1 Member

13.1.1 (43120) shows the same frequency of mouse freezes as before up to 12.2, like once or a few times per day, and can be fixed by a short suspend
    /resume. Therefore much better than the unusable 13.1.0, but sometimes a pain when you are in a phone call with a customer and need to access the VM ..

12. xz4gb8

xz4gb8 Member

Have you submitted a report with technical data?

13. Rainer1

Rainer1 Member

No. How can I submit it?

14. Rainer1

Rainer1 Member

after a week of reasonable operation (unfreezing the mouse cursor with a quick suspend/resume) the behavior of Parallels became unbearable since yesterday, requiring a restart of the guest OSX every hour in the average. I submitted a report with technical data.

15. Rainer1

Rainer1 Member

After a remote session with Parallels support they said that it this is a bug and will be addressed in an upcoming release. In the meantime I reverted to PD 12.6

16. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @Rainer1 , we are aware of the issue and we are working on it, please subscribe to our newsletter to get notified by our updates.

17. ChrisP13

ChrisP13 Junior Member

Is this fixed in 13.3? I am finding that regularly my mouse is totally ineffectual on my Bootcamp partition running in Parallels 13.3 (43321) on macOS 10.13.3. Never had this issue before. It is as if the mouse doesn't exist. The error is intermittent and I haven't spotted any pattern yet. In Coherence or its own window, the mouse works to start with, but after a few seconds Windows can't see it. When Bootcamp is in its own window the mouse pointer disappears until I switch macOS windows. Pressing Ctrl and Alt doesn't recover it, although when in its own window sometimes the mouse pointer starts working again.

18. Rainer1

Rainer1 Member

13.3.0 has the same issues as ever. The only way to use it in this configuration is VNC. But Parallels does not seem to be interested in supporting this use case, so you turn away better now than later.

19. WillemK1

WillemK1 Bit poster

Same here with a completely new installation. The left mouse button mainly and sometimes the keyboard get out of use. I just converted a High Sierra from VMWare to Parallels. So no update from prior versions of PD. I am using Version 13.3.0 (43321).