Tool Bar and Start menu in window is not working

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ChuckG2, Jun 14, 2017.

1. ChuckG2

ChuckG2 Bit poster

When I run windows through parallel, the toolbar and the start menu do not respond. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello @ChuckG2. Please find the application 'ctfmon' located in C:\Windows\System32, right-click on it, select 'Run as Administrator' from the menu that appears (no application window will open and nothing will seem to happen because, after being launched, the application will simply run hidden in the background) and restart Windows.

3. ChuckG2

ChuckG2 Bit poster

Thank-you. It is working now. I appreciate your help.

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @ChuckG2 , we are glad that your issue is resolved. Please reach us anytime for further assistance.

5. VictoriaG1

VictoriaG1 Bit poster

I recently upgraded to Parallels 13, and now my Start menu is not working, and View options on Parallels are not working consistently either (Coherence no longer lets me drag files to different desktops, but example). Running ctfmon, per above advice, did not help. What else can I do? These issues are making me much less productive.

6. ViolaR

ViolaR Bit poster

My issue may be more serious. Both keyboard and mouse are unresponsive in the Windows 10 Preview VM. My cursor does not even appear on the desktop. Not sure what triggered this - it was working fine before. Possible too much reclaiming of free disk space in Parallels?
    Cheers,ViolaR

7. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Please try the steps suggested below :
    1.Make sure the virtual machine is in shut down state.
    2.Open virtual machine configuration.
    3.Switch to Hardware tab > Mouse & Keyboard > set Mouse to Optimize for games.
    4.In Hardware tab switch to Boot Order > extend Advanced settings > in Boot flags box paste the following flag:
    devices.usb.mouse=0
    5.Start the virtual machine and Go to Actions > reinstall Parallels Tools and check if it works. Thanks!

ViolaR likes this.