macOS 10.12.6 VM stuck at 1024x768 resolution

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Obi-Wan, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan Junior Member

Hello,

I am running Parallels Desktop 13.1.1 on macOS 10.12.6 (host), 2016 tbMBP 15, retina 1440x900.

I created a macOS 10.12.6 (guest) VM. I have the "Best for Retina display" option checked in "Hardware" ---> "Graphics" settings, but the only resolution available in the VM system preferences is 1024x768. In the VM I see the menu "Connected Projector: Display" grayed out, with "Use As Separate Display" checked. Does the VM think it is connected to a projector? How can I change this and get all the resolutions listed in the Display settings, so I can run the VM with Retina resolution? Thanks.

2. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan Junior Member

Installing Parallels Tools seems to have fixed the problem

3. Eric.De.Vosvub.ac.be

Eric.De.Vosvub.ac.be Bit poster

Sorry. I am running Paralles Desktop 12.2.1 and Windows 10 on an OS X 10.13.1 Retina 4K iMac. The only resolution available in the virtual machine is a poor 1024 x 768. How can I change the resolution. Thanks. Eric DV

4. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan Junior Member

Hello,

Did you try installing Parallels Tools? That worked for me on macOS, so it might do the same for you on your Windows 10 VM.

5. Eric.De.Vosvub.ac.be

Eric.De.Vosvub.ac.be Bit poster

Thank you very much, Obi-Wan.
    After installing Parallels Toolbox I can go up to 5120 x 2880 for the Windows 10 VM. There is even no need to go that high :)
    PS: I use an iMac 27" Retina 4K.
    Eric De Vos (Brussels, Belgium)

Obi-Wan likes this.
  6. BerendS

BerendS Junior Member

Thanks for the post guys. I have a similar problem. (1024 *768) Unfortunately with Parallel Toolbox installed I got up to a resolution of 2048 * 1536 instead of 2560 * 1440. (this is the resolution my Windows 7 and 10 VM's run under). I allocated 512mB to the graphics display and 8Gb memory. The same as for my Windows VM's. I run Parallel desktops version 13.1.1 (43120) and Mac OSX 10.12.6 (Sierra).
    Any further ideas?
    Berend

7. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Obi-Wan. Thanks for your posts/suggestions. Appreciate your time on this.
    Hello BerendS. So the VM with the issue, is it macOS or Windows? And have you installed Parallels Tools (not Parallels Toolbox) in the VM?

8. BerendS

BerendS Junior Member

Yes my bad should have been parallel tools which I installed in in the Mac OS Sierra VM.

Regards,
    Berend

9. Hemnath@Parallels

Thanks for clearing that up. Can you help us with a screenshot of where the resolution limit is shown as '2048 * 1536' for the VM in question?

10. BerendS

BerendS Junior Member

After starting the MAC OS Sierra VM. Click on System Preferences and then Displays. You will see the following:
    Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 7.31.41 pm.png

If I use Default for display it will stick with the same resolution (2048 * 1536)

Regards,

Berend

11. Hemnath@Parallels

Ok, kindly confirm whether you have observed the step quoted below, mentioned by one of our posters here before:

12. BerendS

BerendS Junior Member

Hi Hemnath,
    Under Hardware Graphics Settings I do not have the option Best for Retina Display. It shows only the amount of memory I can allocate to the VM. By the way I do not have a retina display - my max resolution is 2560 * 1440. And there are no display resolution problems with Windows 7 and Windows 10 VMs. My amount of VRAM is 2048mb.
    Regards,
    Berend

13. Hemnath@Parallels

Alright, please reproduce the scenario wherein the resolution limit is shown, generate a Problem Report ID while the said scenario is being displayed (very important) and reply with the same. We'll then investigate.

14. BerendS

BerendS Junior Member

Hi Henmath,
    Before I do that I will create another MacOS Sierra virtual machine to make sure that the problem is reproduced.

Regards,

Berend

15. Hemnath@Parallels

Sure thing. Keep us posted.

16. BerendS

BerendS Junior Member

Hi Henmath,
    Ignore problem report 223739602.
    I found that there is another resolution setting once the Mac OSX VM is running. It is under the Guest OS menu on the top under View --> Set Resolution.
    Works fine now.

Regards,
    Berend

17. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Glad to know that you were able to sort out the issue. Please get back to us for any further queries. Thanks!

18. CarlosG5

CarlosG5 Bit poster

I have High Sierra (10.13.1) as the main OS. I created an image using High Sierra. I have a retina display. The resolution on the guest OS is very poor (1024x768) and doesn't offer any other options. I see the warning about installing Parallel Tools, which I have done multiple times. The issue might be related. Does Parallel 13 support guest OS High Sierra? Does Parallel tools work on this guest OS? Any idea? Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 1.59.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 2.00.11 PM.png

19. CURTH

CURTH Bit poster

I to am having the same problem as CarlosG5. I have parallels 13 (latest build), and my guest OS is high sierra. The exact same problem. I install parallel tools, yet controller must still think tools are not installed because that notification continues to show after reboot. I also notice I can't run dynres (which is not running), and when I do, I get error message. Parallel tools startup must be failing somewhere. Please advise.

20. CarlosG5

CarlosG5 Bit poster

I checked the Parallel 13 Supported 64-bit Guest Operating Systems. Surprisingly, it doesn't mention High Sierra. I suspect that is the reason. As with all the Parallel releases, they are always missing the 5 cents for the full dollar!
    http://kb.parallels.com/ca/124223