No login screen

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by IT2006, Oct 14, 2017.

1. IT2006

IT2006 Bit poster

I have updated to Parallels 13 2 months back and there was an update patch today.

After updating parallels , and launch my windows 10 image , there is no login screen (which it used to have before this update). I am not able to login to windows.

Can someone help me here ?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @IvanT2, we are aware of this issue and it has been reported. please follow the steps provided below as a workaround
    Please open virtual machine configuration, go to Hardware Tab > Graphics > Advanced settings > Disable 3D Acceleration and increase the graphics memory to 512MB and then restart Windows and follow the steps provided in the article and check if it works.

3. IT2006

IT2006 Bit poster

Hi Paul ,

Thanks. The steps mentioned in your comment did not fix the issue. I manage to find an alternative workaround

Version : Version 13.1.0 (43108)
    MacOS 10.12.6

Workaround Steps for Windows 10 image
    1. launch the image in full screen mode
    2. clt+cmd F (resize the screen) and repeat it back again to full screen
    3. Save the snapshot.

Please fix this issue. This is a regression as previous build in Parallels 13 does not have this defect. It is very irritating to keep doing this.

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Thanks for the feedback @IvanT2, Feel free to reach out anytime and we are here to help!

5. NoComment

NoComment Bit poster

Hi,

having the same problem, but none of the two solutions provided here works for me. I simply can't get Windows to show the login screen. Very bad situation, as this makes my Windows instance completely unusable, even though I need it every day for running my business. Well, at least I learned to have a proper snapshot management in the future....but I fear that this wouldn't have been enough when it's really a problem caused by the Parallels update....

So if there is any solution, or a patch I could try, pls advise!

6. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @NoComment , please go to Actions > reset and check if it works.
    Thanks

7. NoComment

NoComment Bit poster

Hi, nope, that doesn't help. I can restart the VM in safe mode, then I get the login screen - but as soon as I reboot/start the Windows 10 VM in normal mode, no login screen/fields, just the "Welcome" screen:

Attached Files:

8. IT2006

IT2006 Bit poster

Hi NoComment,

Have you tried this step ? This is another step that works for my other images (beside my comment above).

Steps

1. launch the image in full screen mode. Make sure you stay "focus" in that image windows.

2. clt+cmd F (resize the screen) and repeat it back again to full screen

3. Repeat step 2 a couple of times if it does not work

I realise if the image windows does not stay focus this issue may appear.

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi, please create an empty virtual machine and mount the existing virtual hard disk to check how it works.

10. NoComment

NoComment Bit poster

Hi,

I created an new VM with no source, then configured it to use the existing HDD file from my (failing) Win10 instance (see attached image), but got the same behavior when I booted it.

Attached Files:

11. NoComment

NoComment Bit poster

Hi IvanT2,

tried it several times, but didn't work for me. Thx a lot for your support!

BR,
    Günther

12. PeterT6

PeterT6 Bit poster

Same issue for me is there any solution available!

MacBook 13" IrisGraphic 6100 OSX 10.12.6 Win 10 on WM

13. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi, as a workaround please follow the instruction:

1. Open virtual machine configuration > switch to Options tab > Sharing > turn OFF Shared Profile feature.
    2. Start virtual machine in safemode > open Windows File Explorer and go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Parallels Tools
    Rename prl_uprof.dll to prl_uprof_old.dll
    3. Restart virtual machine.
    4. Open virtual machine configuration > switch to Options tab > Sharing > turn ON Shared Profile feature.
    5. Download Shared Profile correct file and run it.
    6. Restart virtual machine.

14. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @PeterT6, did you try the steps mentioned in the @NoComment post? Please check and let us know how it works.

15. NoComment

NoComment Bit poster

Hi,

I followed steps 1 to 4, but after step 3 (restart of the VM) again I had no login screen. Nevertheless, I performed step 4, but I have no idea what step 5 means: "Download Shared Profile correct file and run it" - what is the "correct" file and how do I download it?

16. NoComment

NoComment Bit poster

Interesting things were happening: I left my Windows 10 VM open by accidentally for several hours even though there was no login screen, and suddenly the password input field appeared and I was able to login. I then rebooted later, and the login didn't appear again - kept it running and approx. after 4-6 hours (didn't notice when exactly it happened) the login input field appeared and I was again able to login. So it seems like some very long timeout that the dialog waits for - can't be sure if it is just 1hour or more.

17. NoComment

NoComment Bit poster

Just to mention: there is no network available when this happens, and a lot of apps don't work - seems like a problem with some security thingy from Windows.

18. PeterT6

PeterT6 Bit poster

How do I start my VM in safe mode (uses a boot camp partition).

I don't understand step 5 and 6, which file, from where?

19. PeterT6

PeterT6 Bit poster

Also if I leave it idling for a long time the password prompt appears also for me!

20. NoComment

NoComment Bit poster

@PeterT6 does your VM work correctly after long time ideling? For me it has several problems (incl. missing network for instance).