Parallels Desktop 13 preconfigures Windows 10 the way I don't like at all

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by aspen63, Nov 12, 2017.

1. aspen63

aspen63 Member

I've been on Parallels 12 and downloaded version 13 to give it a try. I decided to install Windows 10 and was totally disappointed by how PD 13 preconfigures the virtual machine. During the install it silently creates an admin user with my current Mac user name and there is no way to change this. So I can't see standard Windows 10 installation dialog and somehow PD decides for myself. I couldn't find any switch for such a behaviour. VERY disappointing. What the hell is that????

2. aspen63

aspen63 Member

Update: I found a workaround by creating an empty VM and then booting from Windows DVD image. Though it worked I see no reason to implement installation procedure that way. Please revert to the previous one and don't confuse your customers and break installations with your less then wise decisions for your customers, or at least provide a clear option to switch off your 'optimizations'.

3. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Hello! We do not change installation procedure in Parallels Desktop 13. It works the same way as PD12. You can install VM manually without creating of empty VM, just use "Continue without source" in the Installation Assistant, provide you ISO image and do all the steps as you wish.

4. aspen63

aspen63 Member

No, you did and even advertised it when 13 was launched. It's counterintuitive when you start with your ISO file but is not asked whether you want your installation to be personalised with some user's name. You have to google after you face the fact Parallels made some decisions for you. You spend your time trying to find a workaround, you reinstall OS=you waste your time. Just give your users a clear switch and you spare them a lot of time. I don't think my case is unique. Just don't make decisions for users without telling them.

5. alexg

6. aspen63

aspen63 Member

Here it is:
    http://blog.parallels.com/2017/09/14/parallels-desktop-12-vs-13/
    Please note:
    And the link you provided for changing user name is very misleading. Those steps are not enough at all to change everything related to user name, you can check for yourself that home folder's name is not changed after them. And there are many other things that are left unchanged. Don't have time to go through all this staff here. Just believe me, it's quicker to reinstall the OS.

7. alexg

I see. This blog about Windows downloading what was introduced in PD13 only.

8. aspen63

aspen63 Member

Please just pass my proposal about introducing clear switch to your developers :)

9. alexg

Ok. Deal. Thanks!