Problems installing Kapersky Internet Security on Vista under Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by markwilson, Jul 13, 2007.

1. markwilson

markwilson Bit poster

I have Parallels Desktop 3.0 running Windows Vista from my Boot Camp partition. When I try to install Kapersky Internet Security (KIS) it appears to install, reboots the machine, but nothing has been installed. I experienced this previously with an earlier version of Parallels Desktop and a Vista VM (at that time Parallels didn't support Vista on Boot Camp) and I fixed it by copying kisstart.exe to a local folder and forcing it to run as an administrator. Unfortunately when I try this on my Boot Camp installation, I'm presented with a message telling me that KIS must be installed under virtual machine control.

Please can someone advise me on how to get KIS installed on Vista under Parallels.

Mark
    http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/

2. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

Have you tried KIS tech support with this question? I'd not heard of KIS until your message -- it may not be all that widely known here.

I'm using AVG (registered version) and have had no trouble with it running under PD 3. But I'm not using a Bootcamp partition.

Phil

3. markwilson

markwilson Bit poster

Hi Phil,
    Thanks for answering so quickly but I'm sure that KIS tech support would either say "does this work on a non-virtualised desktop?" or tell me to go away because I'm not a licensed user of their product!

I could use a license for another product, but KIS is included with Parallels Desktop (go to the Actions menu and there is an Install Kapersky Internet Security item).

Cheers, Mark

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  4. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

Wow! Learn something new every day: Thanks, Mark!

So is the fact that no one else has mentioned KIS problems because it is working flawlessly for them or because (like me) they didn't know enough to install it?

In my case I upgraded from v. 2.5 to v. 3 and used the same VM -- so AVG was already installed and up-to-date. No reason to try something else.

Good luck!

Phil

5. WesGaige

WesGaige Junior Member

Problem solved?

I'm having the same problem as Mark.

Was there ever a solution?

6. markwilson

markwilson Bit poster

Sadly not... I think there have been some new parallels releases since I posted this question but based on my experience of Parallels support, I decided not to purchase the product and will probably be following the VMware Fusion route instead...

Good luck with getting an answer to this problem though.

Mark

7. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

I'm having the same problem. But with Windows XP SP3. I choose to instal Kapersky, it reboots but nothing happens or is installed. At least not something obvious.

Please advise...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  8. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You can find Kaspersky in add/remove programs - if it is installed,
    Also make sure no other antivirus is running, this may prevent installation, and try the latest version of Kaspersky from their website